• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2017 S Silver Eagle Proof slot

4 posts in this topic

I think the slot for the 2017 S Silver Eagle Proof coin is not correct the only 2017 S were the 2017 S LIMITED EDITION SET PF and the 2017 S CONGRATULATIONS SET PF the regular proof issue was the 2017 W Proof. Please remove the slot for the 2017 S Proof from the Silver Eagles, 1986-Date, Mint State, Specimen, & Proof (Including Varieties & Special Pedigrees).

Thank you

On 2/2/2018 at 9:27 PM, Robert J Hewitt said:

I think the slot for the 2017 S Silver Eagle Proof coin is not correct the only 2017 S were the 2017 S LIMITED EDITION SET PF and the 2017 S CONGRATULATIONS SET PF the regular proof issue was the 2017 W Proof. Please remove the slot for the 2017 S Proof from the Silver Eagles, 1986-Date, Mint State, Specimen, & Proof (Including Varieties & Special Pedigrees).

Thank you

Hello,

You may have noticed recently, the set name changed to Silver Eagles, 1986-Date, Mint State, Specimen, & Proof (Including Varieties & Special Pedigrees) which allows for all varieties and special pedigrees.  The NGC census shows over two hundred forty coins, including signature labels, graded without the Limited Edition or Congratulations Set labels.  These coins are labeled 2017 S and are not eligible for pedigree slots.  

Thank you.

On 2/2/2018 at 9:27 PM, Robert J Hewitt said:

Thank you

When somebody sends in a 2017 S proof for grading, and it is not sealed in the original mint packaging, i.e. either the Congratulations set or the Limited Edition Silver proof set, it will not get either of the designations you mention.  It will just be a Silver eagle proof with the S mint mark.  Of course, take the others out of their holders and you have the exact same thing.  

So...I would be best served to take a coin with a "Limited Edition" label and send it in to be re-slabbed with a non-pedigreed label as they will be more abundant than their non-pedigreed siblings.  We are now getting further into the situation where coins that are less specific in their pedigree are commanding elevated prices due to there being a smaller population.  Aside from paying more for less, it seems to reward sloppy collection maintenance and concealment of coin origins.  Kinda flies in the face of why I embraced the whole slabbed collection idea to begin with.  I guess increased sales volume justifies this silly addition to the set.