• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oops - Mechanical Error

5 posts in this topic

I see that the February HA monthly World and Ancient auction has not 1 but 2 PCGS graded examples of the extremely rare Middlesex Shackelton #475 conder tokens.  Unfortunately, both have the correctly spelled LONDON obverse which makes the first one the very common Middlesex #476 and the second example the equally common #477.

I wonder if PCGS missed checking the edge variety on the second one - there are 3 rare to very rare edge varieties for #477.

Hopefully the bidders will be smart enough to simply visually verify that London is spelled correctly instead of LODON as is the case on real #475.  The consignor might get lucky a second time.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:02 PM, farthing said:

I see that the February HA monthly World and Ancient auction has not 1 but 2 PCGS graded examples of the extremely rare Middlesex Shackelton #475 conder tokens.  Unfortunately, both have the correctly spelled LONDON obverse which makes the first one the very common Middlesex #476 and the second example the equally common #477.

I wonder if PCGS missed checking the edge variety on the second one - there are 3 rare to very rare edge varieties for #477.

Hopefully the bidders will be smart enough to simply visually verify that London is spelled correctly instead of LODON as is the case on real #475.  The consignor might get lucky a second time.

I recommend pointing out the specific lot numbers to Mark Feld of these boards, who works for Heritage. He has successfully intervened in the past when I've seen misidentified lots.

They have another screw up, lot 36094 is listed as a Middlesex D&H 294c a RRR coin (R-7 on the Sheldon rarity scale).  It is actually 295a (That is assuming it has a plain edge like a 294c would.  They don't mention what the edge actually is.  It is ISN'T plain then it is a LOT more common.)

And Heritage has now corrected the description of lot 36094 to have the correct attribution.  Glad to see that Heritage has updated these 3 lots to have the correct DH #'s instead of those of extremely rare varieties.