• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2017 S ASE

26 posts in this topic

I don't follow the Registry, but if you sent the coins in in the set it would get labeled Limited, or Congratulations.  If you just sent in the  coin in it would be just labeled 2017 S.  Does the Registry have slots for all three, or could it just be a slot for a 2017 S and you can use any of the three.

Thanks. Found it. There are  3 different slots. One is for the Limited and one is for the Congratulations. In order  to fill the slot   for just the 2017 s  then you actually have  to have a label  on the coin   that only states   2017 S  and  it can't  have Limited or Congratulations on it. I found one but it is very difficult

5 minutes ago, Robert J Hewitt said:

That slot needs to be removed. The mint only issued the 2017 S pf in the Limited or Congratulations sets. That slot is only for the collection of labels.

Pretty sure 2017-S proof ASE was also sold individually by itself just like all other years except 2009. :$

35 minutes ago, numisport said:

Pretty sure 2017-S proof ASE was also sold individually by itself just like all other years except 2009. :$

As far as I know, that is incorrect.  Only the 2017-W was sold by itself.  The 2017-S was only in the Limited and Congratulations set.  Later this year, there will be a 2018-S ASE sold by itself but the 2017-S wasn't.

Actually there is now a  2017 S being sold on EBAY now. I wrote NGC and  was told that  there is a stand alone 2017 S that is now being sold with a plain label. It could be from  a 2017 Limited edition  or Congratulations set where people didn't want to pay more for the special label or it could be  any number of reasons where somebody could have just requested a plain label without  the Limited or Congratulations  designation. I just bought one on Ebay.

Thanks for your input

19 hours ago, Mohawk said:

As far as I know, that is incorrect.  Only the 2017-W was sold by itself.  The 2017-S was only in the Limited and Congratulations set.  Later this year, there will be a 2018-S ASE sold by itself but the 2017-S wasn't.

I stand corrected. There were West Point proof ASE coins and I see they are still available bundled with 2016 coin. I think earlier ASE proofs were San Francisco coins is that correct ?

3 hours ago, numisport said:

I stand corrected. There were West Point proof ASE coins and I see they are still available bundled with 2016 coin. I think earlier ASE proofs were San Francisco coins is that correct ?

Yes, that is correct.  From 1986 to 1992, all proof ASE's were made at San Francisco and carried the S mintmark.  From 1993-2000, all of the proofs aside from the 1995-W were struck at Philadelphia and had a P mintmark.  And in 2001, the duty of striking the standard proof ASE's was transferred to West Point, but as we all know from all of these special sets and offerings, Proof ASE's are made all over the place now, based on what the US Mint thinks it can sell.

29 minutes ago, CHARLES MOORE said:

I  can only tell you that there  are 2017 S ASE being sold on EBAY with a plain or trolley label and no Limited or Congratulation  designation and NGC says that the 2017 S with a plain label is a valid slot.

If coin was submitted raw (without mint package) how would they know what set it came from ?

This.  This is the only reason that the coin has that designation, of not coming from the Congratulations set or the Limited Edition set.  It is the exact reason I sold all my eagles and quit collecting them.  NGC would create slots simply based on their labels and not the uniqueness of the coin.  So to fill all of the slots, you literally have to purchase the same coin 3 times.  Such is the case with this coin.  All 3 are S proofs, yet because NGC decides to issue 3 different labels, it has 3 different slots.  Same goes for the regular mint strikes each year.  The regular mint strike, but then you have struck at West Point label or struck at San Francisco label.  It's a joke.  

I  can only tell you that there  are 2017 S ASE being sold on EBAY with a plain or trolley label and no Limited or Congratulation  designation and NGC says that the 2017 S with a plain label is a valid slot.

I covered that on the second post in the thread.  Send it in the set it gets the set label, send the coin in on its own it just gets the 2017 S label.  They are all the same coin so it's just a matter of do you want to collect coins or collect labels.

I know it. Thanks. It is obviously a label slot. .This is the first time I have encountered the situation. I just couldn't believe that a person would have the set and break it up  and send in the coin alone. Thanks again.

8 hours ago, CHARLES MOORE said:

I know it. Thanks. It is obviously a label slot. .This is the first time I have encountered the situation. I just couldn't believe that a person would have the set and break it up  and send in the coin alone. Thanks again.

Could have been from the congratulations set.  Which is just the single proof.  

Apparently there was no single 2017 S   separately made so the 2017 S had to come from a Set. I mentioned that I didn't understand why somebody would break up a set   to get a single label. I believe that NGC will not put a special label such as Limited or Congratulations unless the sets are submitted to them  in the original  U.S. Mint  parcel without being opened so  if somebody just sent in the  Limited or Congratulations folder   with the coin inside then it would not get the designation and hence   the plain label. That might be one explanation.

If you miss the 30 day window to get the extra "early release" designation they might.  Also if you send in the whole LE set you have to get ALL of the coins slabbed (or at least it used to be that way for sets) rather than spend the money to get the rest of the coins slabbed they just send in the dollar.  And there are probably some people that just don't know they have to send the whole set to get the set designation.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:51 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

This.  This is the only reason that the coin has that designation, of not coming from the Congratulations set or the Limited Edition set.  It is the exact reason I sold all my eagles and quit collecting them.  NGC would create slots simply based on their labels and not the uniqueness of the coin.  So to fill all of the slots, you literally have to purchase the same coin 3 times.  Such is the case with this coin.  All 3 are S proofs, yet because NGC decides to issue 3 different labels, it has 3 different slots.  Same goes for the regular mint strikes each year.  The regular mint strike, but then you have struck at West Point label or struck at San Francisco label.  It's a joke. 

Yup I sold mine after there was no 2009 proof made. I kept my '87 for type but never really found real reason they couldn't strike '09 coins. I'll assume they lied about silver shortage.

Wasn't a silver shortage, it was a planchet shortage.  Silver spiked and EVERYONE was buying silver eagles and other silver bullion coins and rounds.  The company that made the planchets was overwhelmed with orders and couldn't make enough planchets for the Mint and all their other customers so they had to start rationing planchets rather than cut anyone off completely.  The Mint couldn't get enough planchets  to even keep up with the bullion coin orders.  The law requires them to make the bullion coins, it doesn't require them to make proofs.  So rather than siphon off planchets to make proofs (and making the bullion production shortage even worse, they were already rationing bullion coins to the distributors) they just dedicated all the planchet to bullion and announced there would be no proofs that year.  Collectors didn't like it, but it was the right decision to make.  I'm sure the Mint didn't like it either, they make a lot more money on the proofs than they do the bullion coins.

I talked to Melissa at NGC  and she said I could take one of my extra 2017 limited edition proof set silver eagle and have it reslabbed and have the attribute removed and just have the coin relabeled as a 2017s to fill the slot.  This seems more cost effective to me because to buy the set is more expensive that way.  Just $10.00 per coin plus shipping and handling.  The other plus is if the coin is already graded no guessing what your grade would be.  I sent in a Proof 70.