• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1970 one legged eagle quarter

6 posts in this topic

I would say that the eagle has one claw, not one leg. It is an example of a filled or worn die which is not unusual, but in this case, it's in an interesting place.

Great photography! I wish I could do that well consistently.

1. 20180124_060643.thumb.jpg.0daa193da2d010224a6b6ef40daa5aee.jpg
    3 minutes ago, BillJones said:

I would say that the eagle has one claw, not one leg. It is an example of a filled or worn die which is not unusual, but in this case, it's in an interesting place.

Great photography! I wish I could do that well consistently.

This coin has nice gold toning ,I'd say ms67 or higher ,,there is still nice tone over arrows where foot should be 

Yes, its a cool piece ,, I was very happy to find it ,, I was going though a hoard of 1983 looking for spitting eagle's,, 

Then this guy was in the mix ,, best hunt ever and a did find a 74 spitter and it' black tone too ,,keeper for me i save blacks ,, but this will get graded ,, I have been collecting for 30 yrs and have doubles and spitters ,, this is first one footer I seen ever 

You need to have a coin that almost "floats on water" to get an MS-67 grade on a coin from this era. The strike issue, which you have already pointed out, would be enough to take it out of that grade level. You have some toning spots which would not be consistent with the MS-67 grade. There also appears to be small marks on Washington's jaw to the left of his ear. An MS-67 graded, regular issue coin, really has to be an outstanding piece.

Very weak abraided reverse die and the obverse is not that strong either...to think this would grade out at 67 is 'high hopes' still an interesting reverse with eagles right talons missing, it needs a name.