• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1922 Penny No D

7 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forums.

I would immediately be suspect of any coin that is missing a mint mark and has obvious scratches in that area, which yours appears to have - especially one which is frequently counterfeited, as this issue has been. I am not familiar with the particular diagnostics of this coin, other than a weak strike in general on the obverse, so maybe some Lincoln experts can chime in, but in its poor condition, it may be hard to determine if any markers are even present (or not).

I think that this coin might be a 1922 Plain Cent. The "L" in "LIBERTY" is placed against the rim, and the rest of the obverse lettering is mushy in the right places. HOWEVER there are "broken D" and "weak D" die states of this coin which do not qualify as the Plain Cent. The scratched out mint mark area on this piece precludes certification. I don't think that you can get this coin certified for that reason. In other words, those scratches might have been put there for a reason.

2 hours ago, BillJones said:

I think that this coin might be a 1922 Plain Cent. The "L" in "LIBERTY" is placed against the rim, and the rest of the obverse lettering is mushy in the right places. HOWEVER there are "broken D" and "weak D" die states of this coin which do not qualify as the Plain Cent. The scratched out mint mark area on this piece precludes certification. I don't think that you can get this coin certified for that reason. In other words, those scratches might have been put there for a reason.

The holder that the coin was in was marked PLAIN Lincoln. Do you think the scratches were done as counterfeiting? Coin collecting is new to me, I’m trying to get as much info as possible, hopefully learning along the way.

Thank you

Whenever you see scratches in a key area, as they are on this piece, an alarm needs to go off in your senses. The scratches are "too well placed" not to have been put there for a reason.

I hope you didn't pay that much for this piece. Even if it were a 1922 Plain with no problems, it has enough wear and damage to have brought down the value quite a bit.

I hope that our hosts won't get too angry at me, but here is a link that can help you. It is called "Coin Facts" and there is a wealth of information there. I use it regularly. You could put this on your IPAD, phone or desktop.

Coin Facts Link

I hope that you continue in the hobby. There are a number of collectors here who will be willing to help you with questions.