• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Sheldon variety is this 1794 Large Cent?

5 posts in this topic

Well I don't know what it is, but I know it isn't S-66.  It would help if you show both sides of the coin, and try not to cut off the sides of the coin in the image.

If you don’t mind me asking  how is it that you know it isn’t a s-66? Also I apologize for not posting the reverse of the coin which I will but how would that come into question weather or not that that could be a s-66? With the condition of the coin and the amount of varieties of the 1794 Large Cent I was only basing my guess off of the curl in the hair near the shoulder. But again I will post the reverse and make sure the small portion of the picture that is cut off is in the new picture so you have all of the coin to see. Also please let me hear what variety you think it is and your reasoning behind the guess. 

The reason I discounted S-66 is because on it the curl points at the tip of the 1, on this coin it points lower.  The date spacing doesn't look right, the 1 and 7 are too close together.  Also the positioning of the R above the hair is wrong, it's too low and too far right.  I haven't worked on trying to determine what it IS, but I can tell it is S-44 to 72 and I have eliminated S-66.  It would take so time that I don't have right now to work on it and I may not be able to determine it.  You are right the reverse is pretty gone, I can see four or five letters and the ends of the wreath ribbons but there isn't a lot visible to work with.  There might be more in hand.