• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I send this to NGC conservation? UPDATED - GRADED

11 posts in this topic

This coin is in an MS 64 NGC holder (circa 2001-2003).  Technically, outside of the spot, it's an MS 67.  My question is does the spot (or is it corrosion?) look like something NGC conservation can help?  And just for fun, do you think their net grading on it was fair or too harsh or not harsh enough (could have been bodybagged at the time?)  Seeking all opinions.

188864b.jpg

188864a.jpg

I think the spot is ugly enough that 64 is fair. I do also think conservation would improve the grade - if there isn't a corrosion spot left on the surface instead. It's hard to judge just what the spot is (if it was caused by a piece of debris or something), or if its just toning. 

I think I would.  If they were able to remove the spot the coin vaults up to Gem.  I have sent several coins in for conservation, and have on every occasion been really amazed what they can remove.  So why not, go for it.  Nice coin, and good luck!

That spot looks like it has gone too deep to me. Conservative will probably lighten it, but I think that there will be a mark there after the work. Such a mark would preclude an up grade in my opinion.

Just wanted to update this thread.

I put some dip on a q-tip and rubbed most of the spot and surrounding dark toning off, about 95 percent.  It looked much better.  But then that area was too light compared to the rest of the coin, so I gave the whole thing a dip.  Thankfully, it didn't hurt the luster.

I rinsed it and let it sit out for a few weeks, obverse down.  The reverse started toning nicely (thankfully) and when it started getting a bit deeper I tucked it away and sent it to NGC.

I just got my grades and it went from MS 64 to MS 67 (I was right about the technical grade sans spot).  Here's a photo of the reverse, it almost looks like a different coin.

I'm happy.  But it easily could have gone wrong, so don't take this as a lesson to try this at home.  I would guess most coins won't respond the same way this one did, there was luck involved.  NGC conservation did a wonderful job with another of my coins, and they should be used if in any doubt.  I have some other comments about recent grades but will save those for another thread.

Reverse.jpg

As you said, this could have easily gone wrong. I hope the coin is stabilized, and does not change appearance radically in the future.

Your hunch apparently played out beautifully, though. Well done. :golfclap:

On 8/2/2018 at 11:03 AM, Just Bob said:

As you said, this could have easily gone wrong. I hope the coin is stabilized, and does not change appearance radically in the future.

Your hunch apparently played out beautifully, though. Well done. :golfclap:

quit while you are ahead

On 8/1/2018 at 8:53 PM, Forest City said:

Just wanted to update this thread.

I put some dip on a q-tip and rubbed most of the spot and surrounding dark toning off, about 95 percent.  It looked much better.  But then that area was too light compared to the rest of the coin, so I gave the whole thing a dip.  Thankfully, it didn't hurt the luster.

I rinsed it and let it sit out for a few weeks, obverse down.  The reverse started toning nicely (thankfully) and when it started getting a bit deeper I tucked it away and sent it to NGC.

I just got my grades and it went from MS 64 to MS 67 (I was right about the technical grade sans spot).  Here's a photo of the reverse, it almost looks like a different coin.

I'm happy.  But it easily could have gone wrong, so don't take this as a lesson to try this at home.  I would guess most coins won't respond the same way this one did, there was luck involved.  NGC conservation did a wonderful job with another of my coins, and they should be used if in any doubt.  I have some other comments about recent grades but will save those for another thread.

Reverse.jpg

I doubt that acid dip was needed to "improve" this coin. The coin will probably continue to discolor if it has not been stabilized with a neutral agent. The streaky yellow toning is only stage one.

On 1/24/2018 at 12:14 PM, BillJones said:

That spot looks like it has gone too deep to me. Conservative will probably lighten it, but I think that there will be a mark there after the work. Such a mark would preclude an up grade in my opinion.

I agree with you, BillJones.  Conservation, in my experience, has simply exposed the surface of every coin I have submitted for that tier.  And, for that, it has exposed micro, hairline scratches that can end up making the grade of such surface preservation lower when such marks are seen and noted, versus left in question without conservation.  It helps when the coins submitted have good surface preservation.  And marks can be covered up through various natural ways of toning and dirt build up.  It has also taught me to study coins at a greater length to know only a couple of variables should exist on a coins surface that may help to preclude an upgrade when using conservation.  Has anyone sent in a graded coin for conservation to receive it back at a lower grade?  I'm curious.