• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1799 GIII Half Penny

5 posts in this topic

I've noticed that a large number of these are available in very high states of preservation. Anyone out there know why? Restrikes? A hoard? Many thanks.

Here's one I picked up for my colonial type set, 

82203589_Large.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

They were coined in very large numbers and were popular with British collectors of the time for their novelty. The copper pieces dated 1797-99 were the first British coins made with steam power, and they were sought by many of the same people who fueled the mania for Conder token varieties during that decade.

On 1/23/2018 at 9:12 AM, DWLange said:

They were coined in very large numbers and were popular with British collectors of the time for their novelty. The copper pieces dated 1797-99 were the first British coins made with steam power, and they were sought by many of the same people who fueled the mania for Conder token varieties during that decade.

Many thanks. At first I thought these must be mint restrikes, being more accustomed to US copper coins of the same era. 

On 1/24/2018 at 7:32 PM, LINCOLNMAN said:

Many thanks. At first I thought these must be mint restrikes, being more accustomed to US copper coins of the same era. 

Minting technology was decades ahead of the U.S. in this time period. The British copper of 1799 in particular are nicer than U.S. coinage into the 1840s.

18 hours ago, coinman1794 said:

Minting technology was decades ahead of the U.S. in this time period. The British copper of 1799 in particular are nicer than U.S. coinage into the 1840s.

Yes, I'm working on a set of medals executed in 1731. Quality is at least equal to what we see today.