• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1882 Shield Nickel Repunched Date?

4 posts in this topic

This isn't a series I focus on, or, know much about. I purchased this coin at a local coin auction because of the semi-circle located slightly above, and between the two 8's in date. I searched Cherrypickers' guide, and couldn't find a matching example. I know not all examples make Cherrypickers' guide, and wondering if this is a known variety- if the case.

Was also curious on your opinions if this is a repunched date, wide date, or, other. I believe this coin to be about VF in condition- please let me know your thoughts on grade as well. Thanks!

010.JPG.1d7a081041737818bdedacd1deab5dd7.JPG

015.JPG.8b66e62d02ebc7bce1e04a5d188b0a61.JPG

063.JPG.4e6024805c21c9a2dceb33f4d761585e.JPG

Not sure where you think an RPD might be.  If you're asking about the semicircular mark northwest of the 2nd 8, it doesn't match the shape of any of the digits.  Possibly die damage.  If you're asking about the 2, it's very common for that 2 to be mushy.  It's called a "filled 2".  More info here:

http://www.shieldnickels.net/1883_2/1882Filled2.html

Thanks for replies, and appreciate the very informative article on 1883/2 overdate.  My focus with the date was not the "2." I'm curious about the cause of the semi-circular artifact that's located slightly above/between the two 8's.  My initial thoughts were it may be the remnants of the upper loop of an "8."  More specifically, the inner portion of the upper loop as why the smaller size.  I thought perhaps the secondary digits were completely polished out leaving behind only the inner portion of the upper loop of the 8?      

Maybe just a gouge, die damage, just some other thoughts to consider.    

Thanks again.  

Posted same response ATS.