• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYINC success

13 posts in this topic

Any one having any success at the New York show? I've been the under bidder on several items, but have not had any success yet. Any show reports?

You can read several show reports ATS.

The New York auctions have the best items but also get the highest bids.  I snagged one beauty at nominal value last year but rarely have any luck even in the second tier auctions.

Success on the bourse, but not the auctions.  Then again I blew my budget relatively early on so even though I sat in on some portions of the Stacks auctions (wanted to people watch and was rewarded a bit), there were no serious bids from me.  Really enjoyed the chance to do some auction previews--allowed me to see/study/hold some pretty awesome coins, including a Yap stone.  Technically I just touched that one :D.

Well, I ended up with a final NYINC success (unless you consider the state of my bank balance) in a way.

In NYC I had looked at a couple lots for the Stephen Album Rare Coins upcoming sale--a set of the Japanese clay patterns from the end of WWII.  They had photographed poorly but in hand were quite nice.  I was a bit leery as it was for the 1, 5, and 10 sen denominations in three different lots.  That always makes me a bit anxious because I'd want all or none, and was not in the mood for nuclear bidding them.   They had been offered previously and not sold at a bit higher minimum bid IIRC--not an unreasonable retail level IMO (it was not a common variety).  This time they were starting a bit lower.

Interestingly, there was a Japanese auction running at about the same time that had all three coins in a single lot (better photos than SA and theirs didn't look quite as nice--but not enough to make a big difference).  I went for the Japanese auction but was outbid.  I then realized I missed my window on the SA auction as I had messed up the timing.  So, I blew in on both auctions!

But the Stephen Album lots went unsold (I blame the photos and strong estimate--reasonable retail) so I had the bright idea of emailing SA.  Lo and behold the coins were on consignment and they ended up selling them to me. 

All told I paid about 10% more doing it this way...but at least I ended up with the set I'd previewed (and liked in NYC) and made sure I got the complete set without the stress of bidding three separate lots.  Not a bargain, but overall consistent with the other set once fees/shipping were considered.  Hope to get them here next week and can add photos.

These are the coins I was able to get from the Stephen Album auction, a not so common set of the clay Japanese pattern coins.

It took a bit longer for the coins to arrive, plus they showed up the same day we left for an impromptu vacation--so a bit later arrival followed by a delay in picking up from the post office. 

The coins are patterns that were produced by potters near the end of the war when all metals were too scarce for mere money.  Krause has clay coins listed as regular coins, but they were not officially released (some were reported as circulated near where some were produced but this was not considered an official release).  The JNDA (Japanese Numismatic Dealers Association) catalog classifies them as patterns.  A few types are shown in the catalog, but that catalog is not comprehensive.  This variety shares an obverse with one in the JNDA.  I need to dig up my Cummings book, I think this one is there too.

Some call them porcelain, but more appropriately they are described as clay.  Most are red to reddish brown, though some are brown and, more rarely, white.  The darker shades are thought to be more a factor of handling and environmental exposure rather than deliberate varieties.  The top coin, the 1 sen, does have a bit darker color and a more glossy look (part of why I liked this set).

combo black.jpg