• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you call a blank that gets struck without going through Upsetting Mill?

5 posts in this topic

What do you call a blank that somehow skips past the upsetting mill so that it doesn't have a rim (and is not technically a planchet yet), and gets struck directly? I guess it's sort of like the occasional mishaps of getting coins struck on a wrong planchet... but not exactly. Does NGC or the current numismatic standard call it something like a "struck on blank" error?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

An unmilled planchet is simply called a blank. The term Type 1 planchet has been used, too, though I don't believe it is correct or current.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:11 AM, DWLange said:

An unmilled planchet is simply called a blank. The term Type 1 planchet has been used, too, though I don't believe it is correct or current.

Would it be called a "Struck on Blank" error by NGC? 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I went to NGC's mint error attributor David Camire for a more complete answer:

The US Mint uses a three step process to make planchets. Since all three get out, we label each appropriately.

First is a Type 1 Blank. It has only gone through the gang punch and will show the cut and tear marks and is "dirty" and unnealed.

Second is a Type 2 Blank. Continuing on, the blank has been deburred (commonly called burnished but technically this is not correct as there is no median present), annealed, then cleaned and dried.

Third is a Planchet. The final process where the blank is upset.

So this is the language that NGC would use.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:57 AM, DWLange said:

I went to NGC's mint error attributor David Camire for a more complete answer:

The US Mint uses a three step process to make planchets. Since all three get out, we label each appropriately.

First is a Type 1 Blank. It has only gone through the gang punch and will show the cut and tear marks and is "dirty" and unnealed.

Second is a Type 2 Blank. Continuing on, the blank has been deburred (commonly called burnished but technically this is not correct as there is no median present), annealed, then cleaned and dried.

Third is a Planchet. The final process where the blank is upset.

So this is the language that NGC would use.

Thanks - based on your response, I take it that it'll be called a "struck on type 1 blank" or "struck on type 2 blank", obviously assuming that those blanks miss the upsetting mill and get struck as-is.