• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wholesale Morgans

11 posts in this topic

Retired, small EBay retail dealer wants to make a few bucks to supplement income by selling Morgans dollars, problem is finding a wholesale source to buy from that is reputable, offers quality at fair prices individually or in bulk. Other than CDN, anyone know of a reputable source for Morgans they can refer me too please.

pwrnapper

I think that this is bad time to get into that business. The Chinese counterfeits have ruined the market for cheap, lower grade Morgan Dollars. They have made many common date fakes that contain no silver, and any collector who knows about this has become very weary of buying these coins without a close examination. 

As for your wholesale source, the same problem applies to you. You are going to have look at every piece you buy very carefully. Some of the Chinese counterfeits are a joke. They can’t even get the date and mint mark combinations right. But others are well made and harder to spot. 

Bill's right. My local dealer in Kennewick once casually flipped me a Morgan to examine. It was dated 1943.

9 hours ago, JKK said:

Bill's right. My local dealer in Kennewick once casually flipped me a Morgan to examine. It was dated 1943.

That must be a major rarity. Did you buy it?

;)

1 hour ago, Just Bob said:

That must be a major rarity. Did you buy it?

;)

Tried. Wasn't for sale. Can you imagine the tens of dollars that could have brought?

Selling coins, even common ones such as Morgan silver dollars, is not a business that has a wholesale model for most retailers. With the exception of TV scam shows and a few statement-stuffer type exaggerations, the business is too small and product too difficult to differentiate for there to be any wholesale level.

On January 13, 2018 at 6:27 PM, Pwrnapper said:

Retired, small EBay retail dealer wants to make a few bucks to supplement income by selling Morgans dollars, problem is finding a wholesale source to buy from that is reputable, offers quality at fair prices individually or in bulk. Other than CDN, anyone know of a reputable source for Morgans they can refer me too please.

pwrnapper

Silver is pretty low right now - not sure those holding low grade Morgan's are willing to sell.

21 minutes ago, Zebo said:

Silver is pretty low right now - not sure those holding low grade Morgan's are willing to sell.

At any given time, there are typically huge quantities of Morgan Dollars on the market, regardless of the price of “silver.”