• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB - Coins to finish 1887 Mint Set

8 posts in this topic

I've been collecting the 1887 Mint set for over 10 years, completed most of the set in the old NGC holder before they updated to less appealing pronged holder (just my opinion) and would like to complete the set with the old style holder.  I'm down to needing just the 3 cent nickel and wouldn't mind upgrading my 50 cent piece.  I have other coins, graded and raw, and cash to offer.  Please let me know if you have either of the following, MS preferred but also interested in AU.

1887 3 cent nickel in old NGC holder

1887 50 cent in old NGC holder

Thank You!,

Joe G.

detroitwolverines@gmail.com

The quarter was my last pick-up and I'm using the auction house scan (the quarter looks a little different than my home scans).  The 50 cent piece shown here is a proof but I also have a VG8 in an old fat NGC holder.  So I need the 3 cent piece and would like to upgrade the 50 cent with a business strike.  Would gladly trade an equal or better coin (in another holder) for those I need.

I do have all three Morgans, both dimes, eagles, etc. (all the mints), just need the 3cent nickel and 50 cent upgrade.

1887 Type Set Front 2 - 75dpi.jpg

Hello Bob,

I'm a big fan of Detroit baseball and old baseball cards.  I've had a 19th century focus on Detroit baseball cards and memorabilia since the late 1980s.  My favorite set to collect was/is Old Judge photographic baseball cards which were issued from 1886-1890.  Detroit had a baseball team in the NL from 1881 to 1888 and won it all in 1887.  So a natural focus for me was their 1887 Old Judge baseball cards for which I have a complete run (28 of 28).  They can be viewed on SGC's website here (although several have been upgraded from what is shown):

https://sgccard.com/customsetcomposition.aspx?id=33

My interest in an 1887 mint set is directly linked to the Detroit Wolverine 1887 baseball championship.

Cool set of cards. (thumbsu

Nice coins, too. I took a look at the slideshow, and I really like the look of the $10 gold piece in AU58. Coins like that make me curious about the story behind them.