• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doubling submission 1874 one cent

4 posts in this topic

I submitted a Coin. There is definitely ddo features. Very distinct. However ngc does not attribute this feature? Why. There doubling example has doubling in the letter T in LIBERTY.  The coin I submitted is classified in the pcgs registry. Clearly the same doubling in the word AMERICA.  Can someone please explain . I am new to this. Do I have to get pcgs membership?

Hello and Welcome!

Well, I can think of three reasons this happened.  The first one is that it may not be a variety NGC recognizes but PCGS does.  That happens sometimes.  I went over to NGC's Variety Plus section and I did locate an 1874 Indian Cent Doubled Die Obverse variety that appears to be the variety your are discussing.  For NGC to recognize this variety, there is a $15 fee in addition to the grading fee.  In cases like that, no extra fee, no attribution on the slab.  The last reason could be that NGC didn't feel that your coin was truly the variety you stated it was.

I hope that this was helpful!!

~Tom

Longacre doubling was what I was wondering as well.  It is really impossible to say anything for sure without good images of the coin and what variety you believe it to be.  Even if it is a variety they recognize, and there are a great many valid varieties that they do not recognize, you still have to pay for the variety attribution.  So we need more information.