• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Tours

7 posts in this topic

Going to be planning a trip to the Sarasota area in the summer.  I have already told the wife that if we are going to be that close, I wanted to try and stop by, maybe even drop off coins for grading.  So, does anyone know if NGC offers facility tours?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

In a word---No. Those holding dealer accounts are admitted to the visitors lobby to submit and pick up coins, but they are not allowed beyond that point. Those having collector accounts are not admitted at all.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, DWLange said:

In a word---No. Those holding dealer accounts are admitted to the visitors lobby to submit and pick up coins, but they are not allowed beyond that point. Those having collector accounts are not admitted at all.

Policy seems harsh as respects collectors, but I guess the volume/hassle ratio would be too low.

On 1/9/2018 at 4:26 PM, LINCOLNMAN said:

Policy seems harsh as respects collectors, but I guess the volume/hassle ratio would be too low.

I think it is more a security issue. I wouldn't want any random joe to be able to get anywhere near the company.... the more barriers, the better. 

26 minutes ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

I think it is more a security issue. I wouldn't want any random joe to be able to get anywhere near the company.... the more barriers, the better. 

Someone with a collector account is more of a random Joe than a dealer?  I've been to lots of shows and met a lot of dealers with tables and without that I wouldn't let walk my dog. No offense to the vast majority, 

1 minute ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

Someone with a collector account is more of a random Joe than a dealer?  I've been to lots of shows and met a lot of dealers with tables and without that I wouldn't let walk my dog. No offense to the vast majority, 

Any person with $25 can buy a collector account. It is my understanding that they vet the dealers a bit more. 

1 minute ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

they vet the dealers a bit more. 

As that a pun on my comment? Seriously, yeah, if NGC screens for dealers with a track record or a rep I can see that, and agree wholeheartedly with strict security. But, they could do the same for collectors. I suspect that if one of the better-known collectors wanted to stop by they would be allowed admission, particularly if they had an important collection to grade. A better policy to me would be to say no admission except by appointment and only if the person is known to NGC.