• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Re: 1886 Indian Head Cent Type II

7 posts in this topic

I'm a relative newbie to collecting and I've never sent a coin to be graded as yet, although I'm considering sending this to NGC and would like some advice. I've never had any doubts about the authenticity of this coin but when I weighed it yesterday it came in at 2.89g, which is 0.22g light and its just niggling me. I read , albeit second hand that the US Mint +/- tolerance for this coin is 0.29g, whiuch if true, is it the same level of tolerance that graders would work to and what impact does such a shortfall have on their decisions. Also, what colour would they consider this coin to be is it R or RB and does the choice of one or the other impact the grade which at bare minimum I would hope is Uncirculated? The pictures I've uploaded are a pretty good portrayal of the tone of the coin when in good light. I'm tempted to send this in for grading, which would be a first for me but i don't want it to be handed straight back to me if its weight is an issue. Any advice would be gratefuly  received and I thank you in anticipation of your help.

Rob.

1886 Indian Head Cent (1).JPG

1886 Indian Head Cent (2).JPG

1886 Indian Head Cent (7).jpg

1886 Indian Head Cent (8).jpg

I have to agree with what everyone else has said.....that coin has been harshly cleaned.  It'd get a details grade and for an 1886 Type 2 Indian Cent, it's just not worth the money to certify.