• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeffeson Nickel Question

2 posts in this topic

I have been told that there are certain dates for the Jefferson Nickel that are rare to find one with full steps in a MS 66. Which one 1969-D went for 25.000.00. My Question is how accurate is what's shown on you tube about how older Nickels are worth a lot of money having Full Steps and being a higher grade mint state. And does this include proof nickels, it was said check your mint sets, is that the same as proof set? Any information I appreciate thank you. Randysonline

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

While NGC hasn't viewed the videos you mentioned, there is no doubt that a number of entries in the Jefferson Nickel series are scarce to rare having well-defined steps. NGC certifies such coins with either five full steps (5FS) or six full steps (6FS), as both will bring a premium for most dates. Some idea of relative rarity can be gleaned from studying the NGC Census for this series.

The full step designations are not made for Proof and Special Mint Set (SMS) coins, as these are superior strikes and are not rare with this feature.