• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Updated the registry - Happy Hunting

5 posts in this topic

I finally broke down and figured out the new format for the message boards, and am catching up with my fellow hunters.  I’ve added 18 Top Pops to my registry as well as a number of Journals entries on some of those acquisitions.

I leave you with one of my newest additions from The Fun Auction last night.

1836 PG$1 Gold Dollar, Judd-67, Pollock-70, R.5, PR66 PCGS. CAC. Christian Gobrecht both designed and engraved the dies for this gold dollar pattern. The influence of Mexican coinage is clearly seen on the obverse design showing a Liberty cap surrounded by rays of glory. The reverse features the denomination 1 D. within a coiled palm frond, with the date below and UNITED STATES OF AMERICA above. Struck in coin gold with a 10% copper alloy and a plain edge. Original 1836 patterns were struck prior to March 14 of that year, as established by Walter Breen based on the date Mint Director Patterson sent a gold pattern to Secretary of the Treasury Levi Woodbury.

Both originals and restrikes exist for Judd-67. Originals, such as this piece, have a coin turn and are alloyed with 10% copper. According to Akers, restrikes from January of 1844 are alloyed with the same percentage of silver and have a medallic turn.

This magnificent example displays deeply reflective proof fields. Set against the mirrors is noticeable mint frost over the devices, which yields a moderate cameo contrast. The surfaces are extraordinarily clean; the only interruptions are three tiny planchet voids on the reverse. Even reddish-gold color covers each side. Only two other pieces have been so graded by PCGS, and none are certified finer (10/17). This is the most eye-appealing, original example that this cataloger has seen.

913469C5-F3D2-4217-816E-565DF0EE8092.jpeg

21CE7DE0-26DC-4AB5-9110-4DC63232D277.jpeg

8F0FEF05-AC0F-46B2-BA57-84B053C75070.jpeg

It's a lovely original coin. Although I know little about early pattern coins I like this design better than either the Liberty or Indian types. Why were Liberty and Seated Liberty designs repeatedly chosen during that era on all coin types over others tested. Was it because they brought up design elements better or was it politics of the times ?

In 1801, the United States began producing large silver peace medals for presentation to American Indian chiefs and warriors, following a diplomatic tradition set by the France and Great Britain. Lewis and Clark carried them on their expedition and presented them as tokens of peace from President Jefferson himself. Presented at treaty signings, the medals carried the face of the current president, with symbols of peace and friendship on the reverse.

The Mint was authorized to manufacture coins for foreign governments in 1874 (Act of January 29, 1874), as long as the function did not interfere with coinage production for the United States. The first foreign coins were struck at the Philadelphia Mint for the government of Venezuela: two million 2 ½ centavo and ten million 1 centavo denominations from 1875–1876.

In the Act of 1792, Congress mandated that all American coins show on one side “an impression emblematic of Liberty, with an inscription of the word Liberty, and the year of coinage; and upon the reverse of each of the gold and silver coins shall be the representation of an eagle, with this inscription, ‘UNITED STATES OF AMERICA’. . . “. Many changes in coin designs have been made since 1792; however, much of the original design scheme remains.

All U.S. coinage is produced with what is commonly called a “coin turn.” That means that the reverse side (tails) of the coin is upside down to the obverse side (heads). While Mint historians have researched the history of this practice, they have been unable to determine the exact reason for this custom. The Mint still produces U.S. coinage in this manner for traditional reasons, and not due to any legal requirement.

The Lincoln cent is the only circulating coin currently produced in which the portrait faces to the right. The likeness of President Lincoln is an adaption of a plaque by Victor David Brenner, an outstanding portraitist and sculptor. President Theodore Roosevelt was so impressed with Mr. Brenner’s design that he recommended to the Secretary of the Treasury that the design be placed on a coin issued in the Lincoln Centennial Year, 1909. The direction that Lincoln faces on the cent was not mandated—this was simply the choice of the designer.

On October 10, 1978, Public Law 95-447 honored Susan B. Anthony on the dollar. Her likeness on the new dollar represented the first time that a woman, other than a mythical figure, appeared on a circulating coin. The first commemorative coin to feature a woman was the 1893 Columbian Exposition Quarter Dollar portraying Queen Isabella of Spain.