What is your favorite coin that has a well known pedigree?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Zebo   
  • 490 posts

What is your favorite coin that has a well known pedigree?  While not my favorite - I'll start things off with this ex-EPN holding. I will also add one of my favorites with a great pedigree - my father. Happy New Year!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

physics-fan3.14   
  • 14,626 posts

I bought a really cool 8 piece Piedfort with Essai set of Moroccan coinage, that was owned by Pittman. Unfortunately they're all covered in PVC and so I need to send them in for conservation - but they are still really cool. 

IMG_2551.thumb.JPG.9740f06d261a25506f106cb03c27f760.JPGIMG_2552.thumb.JPG.ae832b9082cd04e6fb0241e10b52dea2.JPG

Chris B   
  • 106 posts

This is the one that started me collecting Wildman coins. I wa nted one but had pulled the trigger, I also wanted an ex-Newman coin. This one checked both boxes. Now I have a bunch of Wildman's but this is still my favorite.

GerBru170503.jpg

GerBru170506.jpg

physics-fan3.14   
  • 14,626 posts
37 minutes ago, jgenn said:

This Spanish 8 reales is ex Archer M. Huntington collection (HSA 1001.1.4612)

I'm not familiar with the Huntington Collection. Can you tell me about it? 

jgenn   
  • 310 posts

Cribbing from my journal post from a few years ago...

Archer M. Huntington (1870-1955), philanthropist and patron of the arts, is known for founding the Hispanic Society of America (HSA) as well as his scholarly works in the field of Hispanic Studies. He was also a member and benefactor of the American Numismatic Society (ANS, not to be confused with the ANA). His interest in all things Spanish included a 38,000 coin collection spanning ancient to near modern times that was mostly completed by 1908. This collection was bequeathed to HSA and placed on long term loan for study with the ANS.

In 2008 the HSA, facing financial troubles, decided to deaccession the coin collection, but not without a legal challenge from the ANS on the grounds that it violated Huntington's intention for the preservation of the collection for future study. With the legal issue resolved in their favor, the HSA sought but failed to find a buyer that would keep the collection intact. Sotheby’s auctioned off the collection in 2012, estimated between $25 -$35 million USD, to a consortium of European coin dealers. Several of these houses (Jesús Vico, Morton & Eden, Numismatica Genevensis, Jean Elsen & ses Fils) have subsequently auctioned off parts of the collection to the public. A few anonymous benefactors have arranged the purchase of large and important parts of the collection and placed them, on long term loan, back with the ANS.

physics-fan3.14   
  • 14,626 posts

Ah, now that you mention it, I do recall that. Very sad for the ANS, but I'm glad they got most of it back! 

Jaggy   
  • 48 posts

I have four coins that are ex: Willis (Glendining's, 10/7/91). They are all sixpences, 1845 (MS65), 1869 (MS64), 1876 (MS64) and 1879 (MS64). 

I bought them at the auction but sent them into NGC just last year.

I have one ex: Newman (1892 sixpence, MS63) and one ex: Ernst Otto Horn (1824 sixpence, MS65).

I make a point of recording provenance on my database and have coins from other named collections such as Bole and Bursell. Not sure what constitutes "well known".

Edited by Jaggy

World Colonial   
  • 3,449 posts
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:39 PM, jgenn said:

Cribbing from my journal post from a few years ago...

Archer M. Huntington (1870-1955), philanthropist and patron of the arts, is known for founding the Hispanic Society of America (HSA) as well as his scholarly works in the field of Hispanic Studies. He was also a member and benefactor of the American Numismatic Society (ANS, not to be confused with the ANA). His interest in all things Spanish included a 38,000 coin collection spanning ancient to near modern times that was mostly completed by 1908. This collection was bequeathed to HSA and placed on long term loan for study with the ANS.

In 2008 the HSA, facing financial troubles, decided to deaccession the coin collection, but not without a legal challenge from the ANS on the grounds that it violated Huntington's intention for the preservation of the collection for future study. With the legal issue resolved in their favor, the HSA sought but failed to find a buyer that would keep the collection intact. Sotheby’s auctioned off the collection in 2012, estimated between $25 -$35 million USD, to a consortium of European coin dealers. Several of these houses (Jesús Vico, Morton & Eden, Numismatica Genevensis, Jean Elsen & ses Fils) have subsequently auctioned off parts of the collection to the public. A few anonymous benefactors have arranged the purchase of large and important parts of the collection and placed them, on long term loan, back with the ANS.

I don't know what is in this collection and remember seeing any of it for sale.  Dpeneding upon what was sold, I certainly would have bene interested in some of the coins.  I see the Vico and Morton & Eden sales on Sixbid but don't recall seeing this one.

World Colonial   
  • 3,449 posts

I don't care about pedigrees except to the extent it is useful in establishing a better claim to authenticity.

One of my favorite coins is the 1758 Peru Pillar 1/2 real (now NGC MS-63) which I bought in May, 2014 through Calico from the Trestamara collection.

I also suspect that I own several of the Peru pillars from the Patterson collection auctioned by Morton & Eden in 1996.  No pedigree on the holder but the coins have the same appearance which indicates to me they were stored under similar environmental conditions for a long time.

the_Thing ®   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 29,503 posts

Where do I begin. I have a lot of unique Crusader States coins that Alex Malloy owned in his collection.

Zebo   
  • 490 posts
14 hours ago, the_Thing ® said:

Where do I begin. I have a lot of unique Crusader States coins that Alex Malloy owned in his collection.

I'm not familiar with crusader states or Alex Malloy. Please tell me about his collection.