• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1916 5C Buffalo nickel Doubled Die Reverse?

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

Found this worn 1916 (D or S) buffalo nickel. There is appears to be a doubled die mint error on the reverse of the coin. I'm new to collecting, trying to find out if it's a mint error (some folks voiced an opinion that such effect is due to a scratch from rolling machine), and if it's a mint error should this coin be sent for grading in such worn condition.

Any advice is appreciated.

S20171210_004.jpg

S20171226_002.jpg

S20171226_003.jpg

S20171226_004.jpg

SWEET!!!  A good starting place for this beauty is ----- www.thecollectorsfriend.com

Dave is the best in the series.

If that is a DDR you are talking RARE!!!  and valued around 2K or higher.

That does not match the known variety for 1916S. 

There are 3 options: 

1. It could be a genuine, new discovery of a significantly doubled die (unlikely). 

2. It could be some genuine error such as a double strike, which gives the appearance of a doubled die (more likely). 

3. It could be some altered or counterfeit piece, or has some damage that makes it look like doubling (equally likely).

To confirm, you should send it to James Wiles at CONECA - he maintains the master list of all known 20th century varieties. 

Thank you, guys. I decided to send it for grading, and it seems it either could be an expensive mistake (mostly in form of grading expenses) or a little bit of luck. Before sending I was able to determine that mint mark is likely to be 'D'. Interesting, if it's a double strike could such mint error worth some extra premium? So far plan is if it's a mint error and worth a grand or two I would probably sell it to cover collecting expenses. If the coin won't be graded, well in such case it would be a hundred dollars lesson.

Six Mile Rick,

I would be able to send more pictures in a month or so once the coin is back from grading. Hopefully, I sent it in time to get a free Trueview image from the grading company, so if it's a real deal we would have a better look.

ak, I sure hope you checked with the grading service to see if they even list the variety for that coin. If it is a new variety it needs to go to CONECA first. I'm not sure that NGC will list varieties that are not in their database list.

Good Luck!!