• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Small date 1982d penny does it look right

15 posts in this topic

Well it does appear to be right.  This is a coin that really needs to be submitted for authentication.  If it checks out congratulations you scored big.  SUbmit it and when it comes back let us see it in the slab.

1 minute ago, casman said:

I see the 3.1 as bronze small date hardly worth the submission fees.  What am I missing here?

It's a 1982-D Small Date brass......a coin that doesn't officially exist.  According to the Mint, all of the 1982-D Small Date coins are zinc.  However, a very small number of 1982-D Small Date cents were struck in brass in error.  It's an error like the 1943 Bronze Cent or the 1983 Brass Cent and they are very rare.  A 1982 Philadelphia Small Date brass isn't a big deal, however.  I think that's the coin you were thinking of as not being anything special.

The Denver Mint employed only the Large Date logotype with this planchet stock (zinc). This was the intention, as confirmed by the Denver Mint. Even so, many numismatists suspected that the eighth variety of this date -- 1982-D bronze, Small Date -- actually did exist and was awaiting discovery. That discovery came on November 23, 2016, in Minnesota. Do we have yet another one?

Based on distance between 2 and rim its a small date. Also looking at strike it appears to be bronze and I don't know for sure but upon comparisons of my circulated sets it seems obvious that zinc coins were different (if not lower) relief. Looks like the real thing and I too would like to see it graded.

On 12/30/2017 at 3:36 PM, PocketArt said:

Well, congrats to you!  I'm on the hunt for these, and always hoping to find one...yet,...no luck.  Thank you for sharing, and best of luck with your find!

Thank you .