• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PF68 Cameo??? Update last post

24 posts in this topic

I see this a lot on high-end proofs. I avoid haze for a variety of reasons, although likely it speaks originality. It may well be that such a coin can be "conserved". If so, then it may make sense to look beyond the haze, knowing that it could be removed at your discretion. Seems like this is the case as it's hard to imagine assigning a high grade to such a coin based on eye appeal. Or, perhaps the haze was acquired after slabbing, as seems to be the case with "milk spots". Interested to hear what others more experienced have to say.

It's quite possible that if the coin were to be tilted and rotated under a light, you might easily be able to see through the haze and the coin might even look attractive. Don't judge a coin - especially a toned one - based on head-on images. :wink:

Let's not rule out the possibility also that it could have been cracked out and another proof put in it's place.  I once bought a '72 DDO Lincoln in an NGC slab on eBay - and after I examined it closely, I couldn't see it was a DDO and then I noticed the seam along the side of the slab.  Such an obvious (and poorly done) glue-job after someone took the original coin!  I called out the seller on it and I was refunded my money and told to just keep the coin, lol.  

6 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

It's quite possible that if the coin were to be tilted and rotated under a light, you might easily be able to see through the haze and the coin might even look attractive. Don't judge a coin - especially a toned one - based on head-on images. :wink:

I hear ya Mark. I have one of those Benjamin proof commemoratives. It has acquired quite a bit of haze, but angled, I can see the mirrors. But I guess my main concern would be, can these be graded with haze at this high of grade? Do the graders just ignore the haze when grading it?  

52 minutes ago, bsshog40 said:

I hear ya Mark. I have one of those Benjamin proof commemoratives. It has acquired quite a bit of haze, but angled, I can see the mirrors. But I guess my main concern would be, can these be graded with haze at this high of grade? Do the graders just ignore the haze when grading it?  

Bobby that is a older no line fatty.  It may have hazed in holder after grading.

7 hours ago, bsshog40 said:

Bobby, my guess is that the coin looks very different in hand - at least as most angles. And yes, many coins with toning or relatively light haze receive such grades.

Hazing is common on proofs, so I don't think its dip residue. I was more curious about grading with hazing present. As mentioned, could have hazed after grading also, depending on how long its been since it was slabbed. Thanks for the opinions my friends!

This one graded too long ago so NGC wouldn't have an image. Yes I've always wondered how spotted coins can grade so high. Haze is just originality but under those spotty areas there is likely pitting. Best way to buy those is to pay a little more and get 69 Ultra graded coins in the 200 to 300 range. Many have been properly conserved and are beautiful coins. Check Rick Tomaska inventory for deepest contrasted coins. At one time he was offering sets (7 coin)? for reasonable money.

Besides the 73'S silver, I have a complete set of Ike proofs, mostly just mid grade and all in NGC slabs. I'm not a real big ike collector so I wasn't gonna spend a bunch of money on one. I went ahead and bought this for $25. Guess I'll see what it looks like under the haze when I get it. 

I don't think you are hurt at 25.00 but these are still available in original brown box holders for around that money. I looked at a stack of those a couple years ago that all looked like yours. Several had powder blue attractive toning but I didn't buy them because of the haze.

2 hours ago, numisport said:

I don't think you are hurt at 25.00 but these are still available in original brown box holders for around that money. I looked at a stack of those a couple years ago that all looked like yours. Several had powder blue attractive toning but I didn't buy them because of the haze.

Yea I have a set of the Brown Ikes also. 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:21 PM, CoinClocks said:

Let's not rule out the possibility also that it could have been cracked out and another proof put in it's place.  I once bought a '72 DDO Lincoln in an NGC slab on eBay - and after I examined it closely, I couldn't see it was a DDO and then I noticed the seam along the side of the slab.  Such an obvious (and poorly done) glue-job after someone took the original coin!  I called out the seller on it and I was refunded my money and told to just keep the coin, lol.  

I've cracked open a slab or two and have never been able to open an NGC slab (old or new) without damaging the slab. You might want to show that one to NGC.

Well it does have a lot of haze but tilted the right way and it does have some decent mirrors. I tried o capture the mirrors with My phone as I don't have my camera set up yet. 

obv 2.jpg

obv 3.jpg

obv.jpg

rev 2.jpg

rev.jpg

3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Congrats on the Newp Bobby!  I'm guessing that with the grade it's also quite clean with regards to hairlines.  

Yea not too bad Sy. Don't see much for hairlines but there is a little spot on the Obv in front of ikes nose. It actually looks like a piece of dirt that got into the slab. Its raised. Other than that I guess ok. 

Image31.jpg

How does a coin with that little eye appeal grade 68...

Send it back to NGC and let them fix thier problem...

Seriously any company that would allow that coin to remain at that grade is not doing itself any favors. ESPECIALLY on a coin that big.

Eye appeal is in the eye of the beholder. Moderns are graded technically with surface preservation the overwhelming factor of the grade. These coins should not have visible hairlines if it came right out of a brown box lens. This one appears accurately graded but once they are tampered with would probably score two grades less. I like these coins !

So with having a nice cold 3 day wknd, I decided to finally get my copy stand set up. We had everything in storage for a couple years, just bought a house and basically just trying to get organized. I got my office/hobby room finally organized. So I played around and tried to get back into the hang of taking pics and thought this Ike would be a good place to start. Anyway, here's one using my setup. lol

1973s Ike Obv Rev.jpg

On 12/19/2017 at 10:07 AM, numisport said:

I've cracked open a slab or two and have never been able to open an NGC slab (old or new) without damaging the slab. You might want to show that one to NGC.

I hear ya on that - such was my point.  The slab WAS damaged - clearly.  The 'crack' along the seam was irregular with small pieces missing and you could clearly see it had been glued.  

1 hour ago, CoinClocks said:

I hear ya on that - such was my point.  The slab WAS damaged - clearly.  The 'crack' along the seam was irregular with small pieces missing and you could clearly see it had been glued.  

I'm not sure how these old fatty slabs seal. The seams look pretty intact all the way around except for the couple spots in question. Looks like maybe glue to me also. Here's a closeup of one of the spots.

Image38.jpg