• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best light and camera/magnification set up i cpuld use for making my own varriety attributions?

3 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Thank you for your question. I reached out to our imaging department and they provided the response below. 

The camera I use is a Nikon D7100 with a 105mm Nikon Lens.

The 105mm lens would be good for doing moderate closeups for variety attributions and also allow to shoot most coins full frame.  For extreme close-ups I use a bellows attachment to my camera with an older Nikon 105mm lens attached.

As far as lighting goes,  it's important to get the camera up high enough to allow lights under the camera and as close to the lens as possible without having direct reflection of the coins.  In the extreme close-up mode however,  the inquirer will need to find some sort of small light (I use a 6 inch L.E.D. ring light) to get closer to the coin as with the bellows I'm about 3 inches above the coin for close ups.

owe my thank you for your time to respond to my question but i dont think i will be able to afford anything like that until i find my 1943 copper lincoln cent and my 1944 steel hahhaha. Thank you i think my best option for lighting is to use the natural lighting that the sun provides it seems i have been able to get some great pictures with that without having to spend a couple of thoasand dollars on imaging and lighting equipment (i wish i did have the money for that), but regardless i wanted you to know your input is accepted and i appreciate the time you took out of your day to respond to my question thank you very much