• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you grade a Cent like this?

14 posts in this topic

I sometimes question the grading of errors. It just doesn't make much sense. Sure, call it EF, or AU, or UNC... but the numerical grades make less sense once you start looking at mangled pieces of metal. 

All that being said, guess the grade on this puppy. I've had it for a while, but just now got around to photographing it. 

5a2c0b12cf9f9_IMG_3092copy.thumb.jpg.d01d67ad21c13a68c3ffa20d044f8a2d.jpg5a2c0b164762b_IMG_3095copy.thumb.jpg.6ae14835b47295e60febf841811f1509.jpg

With your statement of numerical grades not making sense ---- MS65RB maybe even 66RB. This is based primarily on the reverse fields and the 20% obverse fields that didn't get waffled. AU details mint error would make more sense so I am going to give it an unrealistic grade to match your thoughts. A MS66RB NGC price value of $20 might be the graders thoughts.

They typically grade the unaffected or "normal" areas of the coin. For instance, a coin that is 90% off center is graded by the 10% that exists, and not by the 90% blank planchet. Your coin should be graded by the parts of the fields that are not affected by the strike-thru. I see a slider with a good bit of corrosion, so my guess would have been AU details, environmental damage and would question the MS64 grade.

As Struck MS 65... I don't think the reverse has wear I think it's a Weak strike to the reverse you can see the left of the top of the mem is weaker than the left...