• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1949-S Lincoln Cent: RPM, OMM, or, mechanical error?

8 posts in this topic

I just won this 1949-s Lincoln cent through auction; however, it appears to be a "D" mint mark.  I haven't received item yet, and I was wondering your thoughts on what slab indicates- versus what the coin actually is?  

If RPM, OMM, or, mechanical error I plan to send back for attribution, or, correction.  

Thanks!

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4603910-008/67/ 

Yeah, that's definitely a D..... 

NGC will call this "mechanical error" even though it's really "negligence and poor quality control." 

The question becomes... did you pay a D or an S price? The D is worth quite many multiples of the S in 67RD, according to the price guide (the pops bear it out - S has 550 in 67RD, D has 78)

Did you want an S or a D? Did you realize what it was when you bought it, or when you received it? 

I realized what I was bidding on, and the photo's were clear as day to what the mint mark was in auction...really speaks to that adage, "buy the coin, and not the holder."  

Happy to own it- I'm still wondering if a D over D, or, a RPM.  I've paid over for many coins this year so needed a break Jason.  Seller wasn't hurt.  They deal in more volume in a week than what I have bought in my lifetime...no worries.         

Pics aren't nearly clear or large enough to figure out any RPM.

The NGC pics are really only useful to see - "Yup, that's probably a coin. It's probably the type it's supposed to be. Eh, F%$# it. Guess I'll buy it and see what happens in hand."

When it get's there, take some closeups (if you can), and we can give it another look. Congrats! and Good Luck! 

22 minutes ago, PocketArt said:

with near same expletives

Haha, I've been working with the Navy for so long that I nearly forgot those were expletives. They're more of pop-rocks tossed in for comedic effect (or, if you're a Chief, salt-and-peppered in like you're seasoning a choice cut) :)

1949 D
 RB $60.00
  RD $475.00

1949 S
  RB $40.00
 RD $175.00

You did quite well as the Numismedia has you coin listed @ $475 The images, even when blown up don't show the D mint mark all that well, so as Jason stated, get some close ups.

Sorry for the delay.  The 1949-S is a mechanical error.  I spoke with Becky at NGC a few days ago- she was nice, and professional.  She indicated NGC will cover shipping, and re-holder coin for free.  I'll be sending the slab back to our host for the process.  

No TPG is immune to mechanical errors- do your own "due diligence" with understanding the grades of the coin you're viewing, and also match criteria of coin on slab with the respective coin.  Always verify certification, along with price.  Bid, and buy accordingly to your confidence...if lacking, don't buy, and always ask questions!  These boards, and peers are here to help you!  Never hesitate to ask questions- your inquiry can save you potential money, and heartache.  

Also, if you wan't to further your knowledge on grading coins, I suggest you read, "The Art and Science of Grading Coins," by Jason Poe.  

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Grading-Coins/dp/1492356107

024.JPG.9a002b7dab8655a6a0e6ec849af5fd24.JPG