• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1982 3.0D lincoln memorial pennies

7 posts in this topic

I have two 1982D 3.0 pennies that are very different.  The two's especially.  One is closer to the rim.  The other is further away and thinner.  The one that is closer is like bubble numbers.  The top of the two's are different and the D mint mark are in different spots as well.  I have held on to these pennies and kept them away for about two years.  I pick pennies up off the ground if I see them.  The two's also have another difference as well. One looks like the letter S and the other looks like a regular number 2 as my 8 year old nephew described the differences to me.  Everyone I ask says the first difference they notice are the two's distant away from the rim.  I think I might have found a transitional copper. Please help

picture82smalldate.png

Screenshot 2017-11-11 at 10.44.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2017-11-13 at 7.15.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2017-11-11 at 4.11.53 PM.png

Screenshot 2017-11-11 at 4.15.14 PM.png

Screenshot 2017-11-11 at 5.42.19 PM.png

• Administrator

Thank you for your question. Our graders would need to see the coin to determine the condition and possible variety of the coin. To submit coins for grading you would need to become a paid member of our collector society or you can submit through an NGC authorized dealer. Both options are listed at the link below. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/submit-coins/how-to-submit.aspx

51 minutes ago, Matt G said:

Thank you for your question. Our graders would need to see the coin to determine the condition and possible variety of the coin. To submit coins for grading you would need to become a paid member of our collector society or you can submit through an NGC authorized dealer. Both options are listed at the link below. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/submit-coins/how-to-submit.aspx

Thank you for the advise.  I sent images to stack bowers and they scared me upon telling me not to send it to you guys.  I thought that was very unprofessional since you guys are promoting them.  I have the email.  They also told me you all charge too much and my coins were face value without seeing them in hand.  I know I have the coin.

Just now, Mantha said:

Thank you for the advise.  I sent images to stack bowers and they scared me upon telling me not to send it to you guys.  I thought that was very unprofessional since you guys are promoting them.  I have the email.  They also told me you all charge too much and my coins were face value without seeing them in hand.  I know I have the coin.

They referred me to amazon to buy a book upon me saying why would they send me there instead of NGC free resources they never responded back.  Might want to check into that I have all emails

Mantha, the NGC rep above is telling you what the NGC lawyers make him tell you. Those pictures are blurry, so he can't really tell you anything for certain, but the company charges a fee to give you an opinion. He can't offer the service for free, and he can't tell you it is something when it isn't, because then he could be sued. So, the official company line is, submit it for grading and we'll tell you what it is. 

However, I don't work for NGC and so I can clarify for you. 

The Stack's representative is very politely telling you that the coin you have is worth about a cent, and is not worth submitting. He's telling you to save yourself the $25 a coin it would cost to submit, because it's not worth it. He's directing you to buy a book so that you can learn for yourself, and see that he's not just blowing you off. (By the way, there is no connection between Stacks and NGC except that Stack's may buy ad space on the NGC website). 

I can further clarify that this is a perfectly normal late die stage cent, and really is worth a penny. Save yourself the money, drop the cent in a spare a penny bowl, and read the book to learn more. 

What are you talking about? Didn't you say the images were blurry meaning why would you give your opinion based off of blurry images.  They dont look blurry to me and thats not what ngc said and thats who I was asking.  Another thing I never said I asked of anything for free.  I simply stated that ngc has free resources on line instead of pointing to pay for a book from amazon.  Another thing anytime a child tells me the difference that is stated in ngc free resources I'll go with his honest opinion.  Thank goodness Ngc has better professionalism than most.  Another thing you let me decide if I want to pay NGC something.  Stay in your lane please.  Now you tell me the similarities in the coins.  Just like stacks you cant either.  Now please dont refer me to amazon like they did.  NGC free resources are enough.  Stop stepping on NGC toes please.  Your blocking them from money.  Never grade a coin based off of images.  Thank you again NGC for allowing me the chance to submit my coin for this possible variety.

3 minutes ago, Mantha said:

What are you talking about? Didn't you say the images were blurry meaning why would you give your opinion based off of blurry images.  They dont look blurry to me and thats not what ngc said and thats who I was asking.  Another thing I never said I asked of anything for free.  I simply stated that ngc has free resources on line instead of pointing to pay for a book from amazon.  Another thing anytime a child tells me the difference that is stated in ngc free resources I'll go with his honest opinion.  Thank goodness Ngc has better professionalism than most.  Another thing you let me decide if I want to pay NGC something.  Stay in your lane please.  Now you tell me the similarities in the coins.  Just like stacks you cant either.  Now please dont refer me to amazon like they did.  NGC free resources are enough.  Stop stepping on NGC toes please.  Your blocking them from money.  Never grade a coin based off of images.  Thank you again NGC for allowing me the chance to submit my coin for this possible variety.

Another thing a 3.0 copper 82 is not normal when one two is further away from the rim than the other what is stated.  My images are the same images online depicting this coin.  Please stop discouraging people if you dont have it.  Now there two very different coins.  Thank God NGC has lawyers!