• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prooflike (PL) Buffalo Nickel

90 posts in this topic

I know several other members here have an interest in prooflike coins, so I thought I would share an image of my newly designated PL buffalo nickel.   There is one other PL buffalo nickel listed in the NGC census for the series, a single 1936, but it has never appeared at auction as best I can tell.  I have been unable to locate any images, and before this, I had always wondered what one would look like.  

595404fc8b8b7_s-l500(6).jpg.6ae354b3d74918a110f8f100f700ad6a.jpg

5954050381eb8_s-l500(7).jpg.524e1abecba67d1e68b3a8a80a34cc47.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

20 minutes ago, david3142 said:

That is way cool!  How did you acquire it?  Was it sold to you raw?

When I found this, it was in a NGC MS63* holder.   Because it looked fully PL, I submitted it under the designation review tier.  

10 hours ago, coinman_23885 said:

When I found this, it was in a NGC MS63* holder.   Because it looked fully PL, I submitted it under the designation review tier.  

That gamble paid off, good eye! 

Stunning Buffalo. 

1 hour ago, numisport said:

Proof dies probably put out of service. This would be a true PL business strike right ?

These aren't proof dies because this is a Denver mint product. They didn't make proofs in Denver. 

Some 49-S Franklins were even cameo prooflike and couldn't have been proof dies because there were none until 1950. I missed the D mintmark on the Buffalo at first and understand that leftover proof dies were over used anyway.

9 minutes ago, Greg Allen said:

Interesting on the timing.  I recently submitted a raw '37-D for grading because it was a PL.  It too received the PL designation. 

Fascinating! Can you show us pictures? 

On 12/2/2017 at 3:18 PM, numisport said:

Some 49-S Franklins were even cameo prooflike and couldn't have been proof dies because there were none until 1950. I missed the D mintmark on the Buffalo at first and understand that leftover proof dies were over used anyway.

I've seen 3 MS Franklin dates/mm with PL surfaces: '49-S (the most common from a relative standpoint as none of these are common), '54-S, and'59. I recently made a '49-S in PL.

2 hours ago, Greg Allen said:

Interesting on the timing.  I recently submitted a raw '37-D for grading because it was a PL.  It too received the PL designation. 

Very cool!  I would love to see pictures when you get it in hand.  It is always interesting to see what else is out there/available.

Wow just seeing this coin. Great score. Any pics ever get posted of that au58pl? thats a weird score too in 58.

I just picked up this coin. It was listed as PL though I dont think it has the mirrors for PL. Nothing like what it appears the coin here has. But it certainly looks different than your typical MS coins. This one also has an insane strike.

s-l1600.jpg

First illustrated coin is interesting and might actually a PL.

[PS: It's a "population" not a "census."]

These all look great. My guess is that grading fees eat up much of the value of anything graded ms66 or less and there may be a lot of late date raw prooflikes out there. 

Somehow I'm missing the train that will carry us to a new way of thinking, and probably on purpose. A prooflike coin as implied is one that looks like a proof. I understand that grading companies are always looking for new revenues and don't blame them but I just don't see proof-like mirrors in Buffalo nickels. Unless of course you compare them to satin proof Buffalos, I just don't see it...... that is [reflective fields]. hm

1 hour ago, numisport said:

Somehow I'm missing the train that will carry us to a new way of thinking, and probably on purpose. A prooflike coin as implied is one that looks like a proof. I understand that grading companies are always looking for new revenues and don't blame them but I just don't see proof-like mirrors in Buffalo nickels. Unless of course you compare them to satin proof Buffalos, I just don't see it...... that is [reflective fields]. hm

I tried this argument before. The people only care about mirrors. There is no proof like when it comes to satin proofs. I have accepted it as the market speaks. I understand the need for a technical definition.