• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you know about 1961 Franklin proof 70 full strike

5 posts in this topic

INB is a "self slabber" - that is, they buy the holders, some guy prints up a label, and they put whatever grade they want on it. I'd bet that coin probably grades more like PR-65. They are not reputable at all. 

The photo is too dark to show very much. From what I can see it looks like a run of mill early '60s Proof Franklin half.

The "Cameo" designations are where the money is. To be honest I have not spent a lot of dwelling on the strike. My observations have been that the Proof Franklin haves from the early '50s have better detail that the later ones where the dies were pushed to cover the much larger mintages.

The sharpness of the hubs may have had an effect on the sharpness as well. As the mintages mount up, the sharpness goes down until things hit the point where the original master tools have to be replaced. Compare the sharpness of a 1968 Lincoln Cent to the 1969 Lincoln. In 1969 the design was re-done and refreshed. Ditto for the Kennedy Half Dollars if you line them up year by year.