• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AU DETAILS REPAIRED VALUE

3 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a 1856-S 50C Seated Liberty.  No repairs or alterations were revealed to me at time of purchase.  I just got the coin back from NGC as AU DETAILS REPAIRED and I obtained the following comments from the graders related to the REPAIRS, “The coin was damaged in the center of Liberty's body.  The repair occurred to that section and the right side of the shield also had its horizontal lines re-engraved”.  Without using a magnifying glass, the repairs noted are not obvious.  The coin appears to be in rather good condition in my opinion.  Using a magnifying glass, the damage noted appears to be a pinhole under the arm pit area of the arm holding the flag.  The re-engraved area on the shield appears to be slightly deeper lines on the right side of the shield than the original lines on the rest of the shield, which seem to have collected more crud through years of handling.  My question related to this coin is simple… How much would this coin, in this condition be worth?  I am trying to determine if it is worth returning to the seller for a refund, due to undisclosed repairs.  Thank you for your feedback.

IMAG6135 CROPPED.jpg

• Administrator

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, we do not appraise the value of coins so I would not be able to provide an estimate. Our price guide is compiled of 3rd party resources that we gather for our database but we do not have listings for details graded coins. I would suggest www.ha.com or www.stacksbowers.com to see if they have any recent auction sales for the same type of coin in details condition. 

2 hours ago, Matt G said:

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, we do not appraise the value of coins so I would not be able to provide an estimate. Our price guide is compiled of 3rd party resources that we gather for our database but we do not have listings for details graded coins. I would suggest www.ha.com or www.stacksbowers.com to see if they have any recent auction sales for the same type of coin in details condition. 

Hi Matt,

This is a chat board, correct?  I was only hoping to get some feedback from the community as to how they would value a coin in this condition (i.e. would the repair noted downgrade the coin from say AU58 to AU53 or lower in their opinion).  I guess I am a bit confused as to what level of information/opinion sharing is available on this board.  Thank you.