• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Memory of Eric Newman

7 posts in this topic

I was catching up on the news of the week, and came across this sad piece of news: Eric Newman passed away this week. While I did not know him, I am familiar with his work. His collections have been big news at Heritage over the past few years. 

For a really good article summarizing Newman's contributions to our hobby, take a look here: https://coinweek.com/people-in-the-news/in-memoriam/memoriam-life-legacy-eric-p-newman-1911-2017/

His battles with John Ford over Ford's manufacturing and marketing of counterfeit coins were epic. It showed Eric Newman's dedication to the betterment of the hobby.

Mr Newman had the distinction of authoring several numismatic reference books I'm told and also then got to do a revised version years later. How cool is that? 

Great hobbyist. RIP

Interested members can find his biography, "Truth Teller," available at Heritage Auctions and selected book sellers.

Yours truly was the lead author collaborating with the excellent Joel Orosz and Len Augsberger.