• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zimbabwe Currency

10 posts in this topic

I have 2 uncirculated 100 trillion dollar notes. I know I didn't give more than a couple buck for both of them off the bay a few years ago. I see them going for $50-130 now on the bay. Whats with the increase in value?

They haven't made any for several years, most of them have probably been damaged through use, they are a popular novelty type items, and Zimbabwe is currently in the news.   That has drawn attention to the notes, but I wouldn't say that they are worth what you say they have been bringing.  Once Zimbabwe drops off the news the prices will probably drop as well.

Well I put my 2 notes up on ebay and 24 hrs later the bids are already up to $127.50 right now. I would say that is quite an increase from when I paid less than $5 for both of them a few years ago. :grin:

That seems like quite a price jump! 

I'm wondering if people think that they can actually use these? If I recall correctly, the currency has been devalued a few times since those notes came out. I'm guessing with Mugabe's resignation, and a new government, they'll probably hit the reset button on the economy again in the near future. 

Yea seems strange to me also. No way these things are gonna be worth what they are selling for now. Even when they were first printed for use, I don't think they had that much value. 

They hit the reset button a few years ago, I believe less than a year after the 100 trillion was printed.  The Zimbabwe dollar was declared worthless and they began accepting three foreign currencies as legal tender in the country.  One was the US dollar, one was the South African Rand, and I forget what the third one was. (So today the 100 trillion dollar note can't even be spent in Zimbabwe.)  At one time they actually shipped in US dollar and coinage.  About two years ago they once again issued "Bond coins" of low denominations.  Those coins were backed by a cash reserve of US dollar backed bonds.  (The government had to turn the bonds over to a third party before the mint making the coins for them would turn over the coins.  That kept the government from issuing more coins than they had backing for.)