• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC VF details to PCGS XF40

9 posts in this topic

This coin was in one of the early pre-slab Anacs holders as EF40:    TWpS8Cf.jpghttps://imgur.com/sfuXWFG

NGC called it VF details, improperly cleaned.  The other major service called it XF40.  Is this a reasonable difference of opinion, or an example of one company being conservative and the other less so?

Looks original to me and possibly 45. NGC might look closer to see if the skin is original. Just another 93 to PCGS. I saw the reverse but cant tell is it a Philly ?

As a semi-key coin in the series, one grading service might be hard on a grade due to any questionable attributes that might or might not have occurred to the coin. They do not want to put a pig in a silk poke, especially when it comes to a guarantee or as status quo for a top tier grading company. In other words, it was not without question, so they passed with a details grade. Nothing wrong with that, so the coin was shopped around until it got into plastic with a grade. Submitters won along with big bucks $$$

Actually the dealer bought it in one of those early Anacs flips graded XF40; if NGC allowed crossovers they would have seen that.  

I wonder how many submitters got a problem  grade with a market acceptable coin and gave up, then some sharp dealer can buy at fire sale prices?  Look up the pricing of XF on that key date coin vs. problem VF!  With most of their money being made with foreign and modern coins it seems they are getting too cautious with good coins.  With coins on the edge they could net them down a little.

It is absolutely *impossible* to grade that coin from those pictures. I couldn't tell you anything about the originality of the surfaces, or even very much about the wear grade. 

I will say, though, if it is a borderline VF/XF, they don't break down the details grades into numbers (that is, it could very well be VF-35 details, but they'll just call it VF).