• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible Error Attribution

2 posts in this topic

I have an example of a rare Karl Goetz 1914 Austrian 1 krone pattern proof in copper with an apparent planchet flaw.

The coin looks as though the coin blank was scored in a straight line against a ruler, from rim to rim across the center, and possibly prior to the blank being punched. On the coin, the scored line is aligned through the center of the bust across the center of the obverse. The line is faint in the fields where there was less pressure, but was widened proportionally where it passed across the devices when struck, depending on the depth of the devices on the dies. That and how it passes through the legends and rims make it apparent that the planchet scoring happened prior to striking, making the irregularity as struck.

So, this is a little more unusual than a typical planchet flaw, in that it may have been done intentionally prior to the strike for some unknown reason, but it may also be a straight crack along the planchet. As I intend to submit this coin for grading, is this the sort of thing that I should submit on a standard grading tier (with the irregularity causing a grade deduction), or does this type of irregularity preclude a straight grade? If so, would this type of planchet irregularity be eligible to grade as an error?

Thanks

• Administrator

Thank you for your question. Our experts would need to see the coin to make a proper determination on if it is an error. In some cases, this is not considered an error as this can be caused during to "rolling out" process. The coin would be eligible for a numerical grade as long as it meets the proper criteria. When submitting, please choose the proper grading tier as well as the mint error "checkbox."