• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1959 silver Penny

21 posts in this topic

I was just wonesting if I could get some help identifying a coin that I've had in the family for close to 70 years..it's a 1959 no mint mark sliver looking coin and I've looked up everything and can't find anything like it...

1510184012410341188703.jpg

1510184136115597083752.jpg

On 11/9/2017 at 6:25 AM, Six Mile Rick said:

That coin is not even 60 years old. So tell me ------ How could you have possibly had it for almost 70 years??  

It's plated junk.

The poster might have had the coin in the family for as long as (about) 58 years. And, while I'm a stickler for details and accuracy, that seems close enough to "almost 70 years", not to have "earned" such a reply. Additionally, the coin might not have been plated and there was no need to refer to it as "...junk". I believe that a first time poster deserves a more polite welcome.

In 1959 when the cent went from the 'wheat ears' reverse to the 'Lincoln Memorial' there were many institutions, banks especially that took the new cent and made advertisements out of them, a 'new era' of business if you will. Some were encased in Lucite while others pressed into rings for the companies to hand out to customers. Many companies 'plated' their hand out cents to make it more attractive or special looking, what I think you have is a novelty and nothing more. 

6 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

The poster might have had the coin in the family for as long as (about) 58 years. And, while I'm a stickler for details and accuracy, that seems close enough to "almost 70 years", not to have "earned" such a reply. Additionally, the coin might not have been plated and there was no need to refer to it as "...junk". I believe that a first time poster deserves a more polite welcome.

Yeah Mark, 

Must have been one of my bad attitude days. Still --- It is what it is.

Thank you so much for the reply and also thanks for the support. Where ever you go there's always going to be negative people it'd inevitable!!! The thing is I've seen 3 of these pennys and they were all extremely rare that's why I asked. Idk I'm going to send it in and have it graded so I guess IL find out the truth then!!

Hello. I just found a 1959 D silver colored penny like the one listed above. A magnet is strongly attracted to it. I found one that sold for just over $10,000 on youtube. I was wondering if anyone has looked into these coins further as they might have been struck as a error? It's as shiny as a brand new nickel. I do have other and older coins but am not by any means a true collector. Thank you with any help you can offer.

6 hours ago, Maple603 said:

Hello. I just found a 1959 D silver colored penny like the one listed above. A magnet is strongly attracted to it. I found one that sold for just over $10,000 on youtube. I was wondering if anyone has looked into these coins further as they might have been struck as a error? It's as shiny as a brand new nickel. I do have other and older coins but am not by any means a true collector. Thank you with any help you can offer.

Welcome to the forum.

Do not look to YouTube for accurate information about coins. If you don’t already know, find out how much your coin weighs. And if possible, post clear picture of it here.

8 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Welcome to the forum.

Do not look to YouTube for accurate information about coins. If you don’t already know, find out how much your coin weighs. And if possible, post clear picture of it here.

I know the photos are blurry but it is the best I could do holding the coins and camera with out shaking. The coin weighs just over 2.5 grams but it has this thing to be able to wear it on a chain.  The posting on youtube was from a coin shop and live feed every Sunday. Can't figure on how to load a photo right now. I'm clicking on the paper clip but nothing happens. Will keep trying.

SAM_3114.JPG

SAM_3115.JPG

I think I may be able to pose at least a hypothesis about your coin right now.....I see the silver looking coin that you have is in a jewelry bezel.  Now, many cheaper jewelry pieces can have nickel in them, which is magnetic by itself and it retains this magnetism in certain alloys.  I think the magnet is drawn to the bezel, not the coin and the coin in question is simply a regular 1959-D Lincoln Cent that was plated, either for the purpose of making the jewelry piece or for another reason that found its way into the bezel after being plated for another reason. 

On 8/7/2018 at 6:39 PM, Mohawk said:

I think I may be able to pose at least a hypothesis about your coin right now.....I see the silver looking coin that you have is in a jewelry bezel.  Now, many cheaper jewelry pieces can have nickel in them, which is magnetic by itself and it retains this magnetism in certain alloys.  I think the magnet is drawn to the bezel, not the coin and the coin in question is simply a regular 1959-D Lincoln Cent that was plated, either for the purpose of making the jewelry piece or for another reason that found its way into the bezel after being plated for another reason. 

I took off the bezel. You guys are right. The magnet does not attract to it any more and I can see the edge of the penny. It's copper. Thank you for your patience. Have a nice day. I'll keep my eye open for the 43 copper penny. :)

1 minute ago, Maple603 said:

I took off the bezel. You guys are right. The magnet does not attract to it any more and I can see the edge of the penny. It's copper. Thank you for your patience. Have a nice day. I'll keep my eye open for the 43 copper penny. :)

No worries.  We're always glad to help out.  Better luck next time!

image.thumb.jpg.28f67c6e6308a6c43624a770dbb1f34c.jpg

I found a 1959 D that looks too good to be true.  Found it in a roll I got from my bank.

Does this look like it was plated by one of the “companies/banks” mentioned in a previous post?

Wondering if it’s worth anything besides ~2 cents in copper.

Thanks for your help.

8 hours ago, SilverSickle said:

image.thumb.jpg.28f67c6e6308a6c43624a770dbb1f34c.jpg

I found a 1959 D that looks too good to be true.  Found it in a roll I got from my bank.

Does this look like it was plated by one of the “companies/banks” mentioned in a previous post?

Wondering if it’s worth anything besides ~2 cents in copper.

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forum.

Your coin appears to be a normal 1959D cent. Spend it in good health. :smile:

It may be more logical to spend it in bad health, in order to help recover from bad health which will assist in being able to obtain more of them, or the alternative....that it does not improve the bad health and hastens the exit form life, the knowledge that nobody else got to spend it can be comforting. So there is that.....

Silver Sickle, as to the coin, if you are referring to the condition as being superior compared to other circulated pieces, that is not unusual at all. Many rolls of 1959 were saved, since it was a design change, and years/decades later finally spend them or cash them in at a bank.

There would not be a monetary reason to fraudulently plate the piece.

I also have a 1959 silver toned cent, the seller had a few and I bought them for a few dollars. 

NGC graded them MS64 and one of them MS65. Heres one of the 64s. Photos done by Robec of course.

1959 P 2 Lincoln 3.jpg