• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a coin in memory of Richard Gordon (1929 - 2017)

5 posts in this topic

D_ck was a friend of mine.  He was selected in NASA's 3rd group of astronauts, in 1963.  He was a pilot on Gemini 11, in 1966, where he became the 4th American to walk in space.  On that flight he and mission commander, Pete Conrad, also docked multiple times with 2 Agena target vehicles, and achieved the first (planned) artificial gravity in space, by connecting a tether from the Gemini spacecraft to the Agena, disconnecting the Gemini from the Agena, and then spinning up the two attached spacecraft.  They also essentially doubled the altitude record to ~ 850 miles by using the rocket in one of the Agenas (it is still the highest record for a spacecraft orbiting the Earth).

In November 1969 D_ck flew on Apollo 12 on the second manned lunar landing.  He was the Command Module pilot, the guy who orbited the Moon while the other two astronauts landed.  He was the backup commander for Apollo 15 in 1971, and was the commander of Apollo 18, which unfortunately got cut due to budgetary constraints.

D_ck was a naval aviator and had a GREAT sense of humor.  One example of this occurred on the Apollo 15 flight.  As mentioned, he was the backup commander.  The prime crew of Apollo 15 were all Air Force personnel.  On the cover of the Apollo 15 Flight Plan (THE checklist for the entire mission) just under the printed words FLIGHT PLAN is a small blue and yellow sticker that says "Fly Navy" that was put there by D_ck.

Please post a coin that either was minted in 1929, 1966 or 1969 or one that has a nautical motif on it, in memory of Richard Gordon.  

A12CrewSuitSig.jpeg

bc1966_rKE1o4t.jpg

bc1966_rKE1r4t.jpg

I always enjoy your posts recognizing NASA history.  I have family that live in Huntsville, AL where the US Space and Rocket Center is located, and Redstone Arsenal.  I've been to the Space and Rocket Center when I was much younger a few times, and remember Miss Baker the space monkey!  She was alive and well, and screeching and jumping from what I remember seeing...years later I met, and had a conversation with Wernher von Braun's secretary...what a moment.  I guess it's these encounters that give us a chance to see, and speak with history even though we may not realize the privilege we have.  Fleeting moments; yet, always eternal for us- no mater our own significance it should be taken as a reflection, and reason to reach beyond if we dare!  Thank you for sharing your friendship with Richard Gordon.    

Next time I'm at Gibson's with family I'll be sure to share my fill of these moments....and recollect yours from these boards!  :grin:

Thanks SkyMan! 

Here is a 1929 $2.50 Indian. Too bad it's not twice as big. The 1929 half eagle is a major rarity.

I am sorry, but i don't know how to post more than one picture per message on this site. NGC sent me instructions, but it involves many steps and I can't follow them all.

1929 O.jpg