• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS Incorrectly certifies California Fractional Gold

3 posts in this topic

I recently discovered PCGS has one or more graders that do not understand the basics of California fractional gold identification.  Even a beginner understands that a genuine has to have one of the four words on the reverse:  DOLLAR, DOLL, DOL or CENTS.  This is NOT a one time mistake by PCGS. I have discovered several examples: #1. A customer of mine sent me the attached photos of a Cal TOKEN he submitted to PCGS very recently. It is a token even though it has a BG-933 obverse.  It is not a BG-933 as it does not have a BG-933 reverse. #2. PCGS Coinfacts even had 2 example BG-933's showing.  One a genuine and the second an MS64 token example labeled a BG-933 such as the one pictured here.  They have since pulled the incorrect reference photo. #3. In an upcoming Heritage auction a token again is shown incorrectly attributed as a BG-788.  You simply cannot have 2 totally different die designs used as the same variety. I have been specializing in California fractional for over 45 years and have run this mistake by 2 of the contributors to the Breen Gillio reference on Cal fractional.  They both agree that PCGS is making a huge mistake by certifying tokens as fractionals.  I would appreciate your opinion.

BG-933 Obverse 34225294.jpg

BG-933 Reverse 34225294.jpg