• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conserving World Coins

16 posts in this topic

I've never thought about conserving any of my coins using NCS.  On my recent submission, I was contacted by NGC advising me that two of the coins could benefit from conserving.  I didn't think there was anything wrong with them, but decided to go ahead and try it. I'll be interested in comparing the before and after.  One of them was bumped up a grade after they conserved it. Overall - I am very satisfied.  

Anyone else have good experiences with NCS?

That's great !....although I  have not used NCS but definitely had the thought for a couple of my coins. BTW, could you share more information about the coins being conserved. Also, what sort of service (reholdering, crossover etc.) were the coins sent for ?

Sometimes the results a spectacular, sometimes they do very little, and sometimes the coin comes back worse or even ruined.  They are good, but it is a crapshoot.

I am not a large submitted but have probably used NCS with 20 to 30 coins, at least.  I have never had a coin ruined though there are some I thought might have benefited grade wise (and presumably the value) but didn't use this option because I was worried I might not like the result.  My experience with the service has been positive.

Seems like every time I send coins in there are a couple that NGC recommends sending to NCS. I have always let them do it. Mostly happy with the results. I have 3 at NCS now, hopefully they do well. They all happen to be world medals.

I doubt they would have hairlined them, they do know how to handle coins.  Most likely the hairlines were obscured by whatever they removed from the coin.

4 hours ago, Conder101 said:

I doubt they would have hairlined them, they do know how to handle coins.  Most likely the hairlines were obscured by whatever they removed from the coin.

That's what I keep telling myself.  I have always been happy with NGC and NCS.

My first experience with being contacted by NGC regarding conservation was very positive when I accepted their recommendation.  The last time, however, was PVC residue on an inexpensive coin so I just had it returned and I soaked it in acetone myself and resubmitted it to NGC and it got a straight grade.

My best results from NCS were conservation of uncirculated brown copper and silver proofs. Major improvement every time. Other coins have been hit or miss, usually no improvement if it's a miss. I've only had one come back that I thought was worse in terms of eye appeal, but it still graded well.

How funny.  I just got contacted by them.  Apparently I sent them something lacquered...it's a small little coin worth under $100.  Rather funny as not too long ago I was asking what lacquer would look like on a medal (or a conder for that matter).  All that time this little coin has been in my possession.  I really didn't look at it too hard before throwing it in on the submission, kind of was filler as it was a small submission geared towards one coin, and it was from the same country.  Anyway, I declined the offer so when it gets back I can take a good look at it and see what I missed. 

I had declined one other time as it was an interestingly toned 65.  Perhaps with conservation it would have been a white 66-67, in which case it would have been one of many similar widgets.  I kept it original.  Otherwise I have taken them up on the suggestions, and always been happy.  

I've only used NCS a couple of times, but I've been pleased with their results each time. I submitted a Mexican peso with some ugly spotting/residue on it. It was graded 64 originally. Came back as 65PL after conservation: 

JPW612 obverse.jpg

JPW612-obverse.jpg