• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is getting a cleaned coin graded worth it?

7 posts in this topic

I have a really nice 1832 bust half dime but it's been cleaned. I know the condition itself is AU to MS. I'm just not sure if sending it off to be graded is worth the money. I just started collecting a little while back and I'm not sure when a coin is worth sending off or not. 

20171029_113942.jpg

20171029_114032.jpg

3 hours ago, Private said:

I have a really nice 1832 bust half dime but it's been cleaned. I know the condition itself is AU to MS. I'm just not sure if sending it off to be graded is worth the money. I just started collecting a little while back and I'm not sure when a coin is worth sending off or not. 

20171029_113942.jpg

20171029_114032.jpg

I had a few coins in similar shape, I sent them to NCS to have them restored and graded. I don't have them back yet so I don't know how they've turned out as of now but I didn't worry about whether it was worth it for coin value. I wanted my coins preserved because I wanted my coins preserved . I don't care about the value, I just wanted to enjoy them in my collection. That coin whether graded cleaned or not is worth adding to a collection. If you want my opinion, have it restored and graded and enjoy it as a beautiful example of a 180 plus year old coin and you own it. ( or alternately, you can send it to me and I'll put in my collection and let you know every once in a while how much I am enjoying it). HA HA.

Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

33 minutes ago, Bobsr said:

I had a few coins in similar shape, I sent them to NCS to have them restored and graded. I don't have them back yet so I don't know how they've turned out as of now but I didn't worry about whether it was worth it for coin value. I wanted my coins preserved because I wanted my coins preserved . I don't care about the value, I just wanted to enjoy them in my collection. That coin whether graded cleaned or not is worth adding to a collection. If you want my opinion, have it restored and graded and enjoy it as a beautiful example of a 180 plus year old coin and you own it. ( or alternately, you can send it to me and I'll put in my collection and let you know every once in a while how much I am enjoying it). HA HA.

Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

Thanks for the information. I had no idea you could send them off to be restored. Looks like ill be doing just that. Thanks again. 

On 10/29/2017 at 5:23 PM, Private said:

Thanks for the information. I had no idea you could send them off to be restored. Looks like ill be doing just that. Thanks again. 

First, how do you know the coin is "cleaned/" I cannot tell from the images. Does it have hairlines?

Second, if the coin is "improperly cleaned," it cannot be restored. "Improper Cleaning" is irreversible damage to the coin's surface. NCS may be able to remove the spots, and otherwise improve its appearance, but you will still have an "improperly cleaned" coin when your done paying the $15 conservation fee and $28 for grading, plus shipping each way.

2 hours ago, coinman1794 said:

First, how do you know the coin is "cleaned/" I cannot tell from the images. Does it have hairlines?

Second, if the coin is "improperly cleaned," it cannot be restored. "Improper Cleaning" is irreversible damage to the coin's surface. NCS may be able to remove the spots, and otherwise improve its appearance, but you will still have an "improperly cleaned" coin when your done paying the $15 conservation fee and $28 for grading, plus shipping each way.

Yes it has hairlines. I'm sure it can't be restored but if they can clean the spots off and get in a case I'll be happy. It has a cud on the reverse on the "s" of states. Do you think that'll help the value a little bit?

Small anomalies are the norm on Early US coinage, and a tiny die chip inside the S would not add any value by itself. These are collected by die variety numbers, and the die chip may help determine what die variety it is.