• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Cloud Appreciation Society has 43,500 members.

9 posts in this topic

The ANA has 24,000 members.

Cloud Appreciation Society members pay $23.07 annually.

ANA members pay $28.00 annually.

Is this food for thought or just idle fog?

I like clouds. Sunrises are the best. Not going to pay that much to look at pictures of clouds, though. 

I like coins, too. However, membership in the ANA suffers because I can't really see the benefit of joining. I joined this year, to see what it was all about. I've gotten a monthly magazine with 120 pages of junk I don't care about and occasionally a couple of interesting articles thrown in.

What is the benefit of joining the ANA? If they want membership to improve, I think they really need to make a strong case for why they exist.

5 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

I think they really need to make a strong case for why they exist

Been a LM for about 35 years. I think the value is there, but perhaps the ANA doesn't make their case to the public or to a wider audience to bring in new members. 

I used to be an ANA member but only because it was a requirement to purchase insurance through Hugh Wood.

As for the value proposition, I agree with Jason, though I presume it depends upon what you collect.  For my collecting interests, the ANA has little if any benefit.  I have never used the ANA library but doubt it has anything related to my collecting interests anyway, including other series that I like enough to study but don't collect.  I already own the best reference books for the pillar coinage and none exist for my other series.  Another example would be the Mexican Cap & Ray denominations (I own a few but have bought nothing in over a decade) where "Resplendores" is the only reference I know (for the 8R) and the now defunct site Mexican Coin Magic is almost certainly better (and free when it existed) anyway.

WC, have you ever attended a summer seminar? Hanging around with a bunch of like-mined collectors is well worth the price of admission, the learning experience a bonus. I get the impression that you reside overseas, which would perhaps diminish that benefit. 

20 hours ago, LINCOLNMAN said:

WC, have you ever attended a summer seminar? Hanging around with a bunch of like-mined collectors is well worth the price of admission, the learning experience a bonus. I get the impression that you reside overseas, which would perhaps diminish that benefit. 

I live on the east coast now but used to live in Phoenix and Salt Lake City.  I have never considered attending an ANA seminar.  I prefer to spend my limited coin budget on coins but that is just my preference.