• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you buy a coin that had the photo vision service...

7 posts in this topic

I meant the Photo Vision® service by our hosts here, which I'm hoping the previous owner/submitter paid to purchase.

The reason is I bought a coin (tapping foot and waiting impatiently for it to arrive) that was sold at auction overseas and the auction shot was quite nice and unimpeded by white prongs.  When I checked the certification photo the white prong appears to lie partially over and in clear proximity to the design feature that makes this coin nearly unique, and was not seen in the auction photo.

I would like to doubt the auction house used a stock photo.  The coin was purchased for me by an 'agent', so even if it was a stock photo, all I wanted was a decent example of the coin ie. untampered with and the grade was nearly irrelevant.  Still, it would be disappointing to have had them do that...of a coin with a severely limited surviving mintage.  (Non-US, overall mintage 6000, of those 100 had a different version of the mint mark.  Of those 100, 90 were melted, so at best there is a population of 10 running around).

My photo attempts will be hampered by the prongs, which will be bothersome to me as that feature is so very important.  I would be happy to re-pay the full fees for access to the photos, if they were done originally.  Alternatively I suspect the coin was consigned, photo'd, then submitted to NGC.  Which means I'm out of luck...or I can tote the coin to NGC to get cracked/Photo Vision®/re-slabbed, which I REALLY don't want to do.  

------------------

I just rediscovered the 'ask NGC' section and posted there...I may even call them, but seems silly to waste someone's time on a call like that.

If the coin was consigned, photoed and then submitted, check with the auction house and see if you can get a photo from them.  Otherwise you will probably have to sent it back to NGC to have them open it, photograph it and then reholder it.

Well that 'Ask NGC' forum is pretty neat.  Already got an answer!  Super speedy. 

Sadly, the answer is not the one I would have preferred--I wish showing ownership would allow the new owner to get a copy--even paying the full fee.  I guess I will be taking photos myself and if I'm not happy with them I'll ask the auction house for copies of theirs.  No way this coin will get cracked just for photos.

The answer:

Thank you for your question. I have copied the link to our photovision page below. We provide a hard copy along with the coins to the original submitter as well as a digital copy on CD. Unfortunately, we are not able to reproduce these images to other collectors. You may submit your coin to NGC for the photovision service but the images are taken of the coin while in the holder.  

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/2639/Photo-Vision-imaging-services/

edited to add:  I may not always get the answers I prefer (you know, the kind that benefit me, me, me), but I sure do like how NGC is attentive to answering my questions whether by email, phone, and now posting.