• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It has been fun.

13 posts in this topic

I have sold somewhere around half of my collection of coins and bank notes and will sell the rest over the next few weeks. I will not make a profit, nor did I have any prospect of making such - at least not in the monetary sense. I do feel, overall, that I will do very well.

I started collecting coins as a means of passing the time and in this respect I have profited greatly. The entertainment provided has been well worth the price of admission. Especially, considering the fact that most of the admission price is redeemable.

For ten years of entertainment – I call that a bargain.

I paid what I thought each coin and bank note was worth to me - sometimes less but never more.  At auction, I expect the bidders to do the same with my coins and bank notes. It would be unreasonable to expect otherwise.

Great Collections was my choice of venue because I believe, for my particular coins and bank notes, it was the best option available. If I had coins and bank notes worth tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars my choice of auction venue may have been different.  

These message boards have also been a great source of entertainment for me. If I have offended anyone over the past few years, I hope you will accept my sincere apologies.

I have been getting disenchanted with the direction the marketing of coins has been going. I have thought about selling out, but I don’t what I’d do in retirement otherwise. The coins and history are great; the people who are looking to control the hobby are not.

Afterword, I've only been on the board for a short time, but have enjoyed your thoughtful and realistic comments. I hope you continue to post. After 60+ years I too am in more of a liquidation phase, but am hanging on to the series' that I love the most and continue to collect in areas new to me less affected by "estate" considerations. Lots of ways to enjoy numismatics and collecting. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

"...but I don’t what I’d do in retirement otherwise."

Collect coin boards, of course.

Afterword,  Hate to see any member leave. A bad taste from wrong decisions sometimes not yours but others that you can't change.

I guess I'm a lifer as I will probably put up with all the cr-ap they dish out just to be able to hang out here and enjoy the COINS and their COLLECTORS!!! :grin:

Liquidation of your coins doesn't mean that you must leave the forums.  Drop by sometime.  I have always enjoyed our conversations and exchanges over the years.  I too am in the same position and am liquidating most of my holdings as well.

On 10/25/2017 at 8:07 AM, BillJones said:

I have been getting disenchanted with the direction the marketing of coins has been going. I have thought about selling out, but I don’t what I’d do in retirement otherwise. The coins and history are great; the people who are looking to control the hobby are not.

You could always go the RWB route or you could do a mail order coin business so that your holdings and potential losses are more limited.  I'm contemplating a coin related business myself.

Afterword, thank you for your time in numismatics, and also for your willingness to share on this board.  I've always found your posts to be helpful in my growth, and understanding of the hobby.  I would sure hope you reconsider your complete departure, and maybe re-enter with a different pursuit.  You have added value beyond what you may know, and for that consideration I'd say take into account your worth, and passions as a whole with this in mind- you have contributed much to not only others- yet to myself!

Thanks again,

Rich