• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2000 MD State Quarter Error?

2 posts in this topic

I have  a Maryland State Quarter that has no copper band around the edge. I put the coin on my postage scale and compared it to a regular Maryland State Quarter. The silver edge coin weighs 5.69 grams while the regular copper band version weighs 5.58. I was thinking nickel stock but that's still too heavy. I'm relatively new to coin collecting and I was told that it might be foreign stock. Maybe a foreign planchet got mixed in from a contracted mint job. Anybody come across one of these or help me shed some light on whats going on with this quarter?

IMG_20171018_143438[1].jpg

IMG_20171018_143445[1].jpg

Too light to be on nickel stock, diameter too full and weight too high to be struck on a nickel planchet.  Weight is within mint specs for a regular quarter, (5.67 +/-  .227 grams).  It is almost certainly one of the many many tens of thousands of state quarters that were plated and sold by the TV coin shows during the 1999 - 2008 period.  They show up all the time.