• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Alabama Half Dollar

4 posts in this topic

Sold this coin in 2008 to a Forum Member. I asked to have first shot if it came available.

Much to my surprise, the owner contacted me and asked if I wanted to back, I said "H_ LL Yes!

Here is the image that Mark Goodman took:

thumbnail%201A.jpg

Alabama half dollar ‘Plain.’ On December 23, 1921 the mint struck 54,030 plain coins. Reserved pieces included 28 for Annual Assay and 2 for Special Assay.  5,000 returned to the Mint for melting.

Designed and modeled by Laura Gardin Fraser and distributed by the Alabama Centennial Commission.

Approved by Congress on May 10, 1920 and issued to commemorate the one hundredth anniversary of the admission of the State of Alabama into the Union.

Design:

Obverse: Depicts two Alabama governors: Wyatt Bibb (1819) and Thomas Kilby (1919). The 2x2 and 22 stars reflect Alabama as the 22nd State in the Union,

the X between the 22 refers to the red St. Andrew’s cross on the state flag. Saint Andrew was the patron saint of Scotland. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

is seen on the top, with IN GOD WE TRUST below. HALF DOLLAR is seen on the bottom. BIBB – KILBY is seen above. 

Reverse: Depicts an eagle perched on a horizontal shield with arrows in its talons and a ribbon in its beak. The ribbon states the motto ‘HERE WE REST’.

At the top is STATE OF ALABAMA with the dates.

Thanks Ty  :smile: