• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1944s Winged Dime Planchet Error?

2 posts in this topic

I have a 1944s Winged Dime that appears to have a what I think is a planchet split or some kind of planchet error.  I am a novice so I really don't know much about this subject.

1. Am I correct or is this a different type of error?
2. How rare is this type of error and how rare is it to see on this coin?
3. Would this error along with the good condition of the coin increase it's value and is there a large demand for something like this with enthusiasts or collectors?
4. And what is the smear/gash under the B in Liberty? That too appears to be a mint error to me.

Chowtung2001

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

Both features on this coin are the result of damage done to the coin after it left the mint.  The gouge by the B is the result of an impact, while the "cut" maks on the obverse and reverse are the result of being partially cut by some type of tool such as shears or a set of diagonal cutters.  Value is the melt value of the silver in the coin.