• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1956 dime MS66

4 posts in this topic

Hi I just purched a group of dimes. All are in NGC holders graded ms66. There are holders with D mint S mint and no mint. After purchase I found a coin labeled 1948 10c ms 66 W Number under that is 310807-021. One other coin in the lot was labeled 1956 10c MS66 W the numbers under that are 316123-093. I can't find any mind marks on the coins. I am wondering if this is a NGC error or if my coins are in fake holders. Any help would be great!! Thanks Billy 

I haven't tried looking up the numbers to verify the coins but you probably have nothing wrong and the coins and slabs are genuine. (If you do they were slabbed long enough ago that there probably will not be images on the verification page.)   What you have are a 1948 and a 1956  dime  both from Philadelphia which do not have mintmarks.  P mintmarks on dimes didn't start until 1980.  The W on the label is not a mintmark.  For a relatively brief time NGC would put a W or T on the label to indicate that the coin was "White"  meaning brilliant with no toning, or "Toned" with what they felt was attractive toning.  It was quickly decided that toning and its attractiveness was too subjective and the T was dropped.  The W continued for a little while longer but sometimes coins would still tone in the holder and you would have "white" coins with toning.  So the use of the W was dropped as well.  Over the years if coins with the T or W were resubmitted for regrading or reholdering the designation would be removed from the label because they weren't using them anymore.  So with crackouts, regrading, reholderings and pieces being crossed over to PCGS a great many of the T and W labeled coins no longer exist and many collectors that have started in the past 10 to 15 years have never seen these labels.  even though they are becoming scarce they do not command a premium for the label.

On 10/13/2017 at 2:03 PM, Billybcars said:

Hi I just purched a group of dimes. All are in NGC holders graded ms66. There are holders with D mint S mint and no mint. After purchase I found a coin labeled 1948 10c ms 66 W Number under that is 310807-021. One other coin in the lot was labeled 1956 10c MS66 W the numbers under that are 316123-093. I can't find any mind marks on the coins. I am wondering if this is a NGC error or if my coins are in fake holders. Any help would be great!! Thanks Billy 

I think it has already been said, but the W is not a mint mark, it is a "White" designation, referring to the color of silver coins without toning. It was discontinued over a decade ago.