• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you actually find your coins these days?

14 posts in this topic

I've been collecting mint state seated half dimes, mostly in MS62-65 (and accasionally commondate MS66) for more than a decade.

But in the last several years, I find it very hard to find the right one.

Of course, it wasn't very easy even at the beginning, but I find it very tough these days.

Is it just me?

Good solid high end material has always been very elusive for me. Many eye appeal coins are tucked away in collections and only occasionally surface. Regardless of grade nice coins are though to find and they should be ! Don't pay auction premiums for ho hum coins because there is a lot of that stuff out there.

Good coins are tough to find.....I think this rule was also applied 10 years ago, but I could find some in those days.

Now it's getting really hard to find a coin in the grade range I'm looking for.

Except for 1870-S, witch is unique, I already own relatively tough dates.

I just want to keep on buying pretty seated half dimes regardless of dates as long as they are affordable.

No, it's not just you. I have run into the same problem. The quality of the offerings at the major shows has dropped drastically in the last couple years, and the prices in the major auctions for really nice coins have often been very strong. 

I think that a lot of the best, properly graded coins are in "strong hands." Dedicated collectors with lots of resources are holding on to the "good stuff," and the attractive pieces are in short supply. The off-grade material is not selling well, and that gives many the impression that we are in a "down market."

I'm also having a hard time. I think it is due to prices dropping for many coins and collectors don't like to take losses so they just hold on. I have several coins tat I'd like to get rid of but don't want to take huge losses so I just hold on to them. i think this is the case with many collectors.

And the nice material that is left, seems to be overpriced. In the past 10 years my biggest problem was cash flow not so anymore, but now my biggest issue is actually finding coins at the right or decent prices.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:17 AM, CoinAuctions.net said:

I'm also having a hard time. I think it is due to prices dropping for many coins and collectors don't like to take losses so they just hold on. I have several coins tat I'd like to get rid of but don't want to take huge losses so I just hold on to them. i think this is the case with many collectors.

And the nice material that is left, seems to be overpriced. In the past 10 years my biggest problem was cash flow not so anymore, but now my biggest issue is actually finding coins at the right or decent prices.

Your experience makes sense to me.

I think prices have been rising for the material I collect. I'm working on a type set, and the coins I still need are just out of reach of my budget. Because of this, my buying has slowed down quite a bit this year (I've spent more on foreign coins this year than US). 

I've been working on medals, foreign coins that could have circulated in colonial US, and added to my colonial type. Need some upgrades in my US federal sets, but have had the same perception of this market - what I have sold does poorly, whilst what I want seems to sell close to or in excess of researched prices. Have added maybe 4 coins this year to upgrade my US type and my IHC's.  Big transaction cost = diminished enthusiasm.