• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1500 Washing quart for sale, need help pricing?

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I am having difficulty discerning what price to sell my loose collection at because it seems everyone uses a different method of valuation.  The one I find most reliable is to take this site's value of the Washington quarter (today $3.05 at this interval of time) and multiply by $375.  Others want to take 90% silver "spot" prices, like $10.50, or troy oz, etc etc which I find very confusing.  Also, do I need to sell at a discount to get a sale? 

Thanks so much for your help!  I am posting on Craigslist and calling shops that buy coins.  krb

As there is approx 0.175 Oz of silver in a quarter then 0.175 times $17.28 is around $3.05 then times $375.00 is $1143.75 which is what "junk" silver would sell for. Not saying goes your coins are junk it's just the numismatics jargon for silver coins.

And what Bobsr is quoting would be full theoretical melt value, you will not get that much for them because there would be no profit in the deal for the buyer. 

The price as it stands now is simple.  Take them to a couple places who buy bulk silver and get a price.  If you want more than that- you need to do the following: 

Go online and printout a list of the key dates for washington quarters.  

sort all 1500 of them, by decade first, all the 30s, in one jar, 40s in one jar, 50s in another jar, etc, then sort by year.  This way you can determine  if you have any of the key dates,  1934 D and S, `1934 DDO, 1937/42D/43/50 errors  I dont remember what all of them are so look online.

Assuming you have some key dates, get them looked at by a knowledgable person to determine the grade- or buy the ana grading book- OR- you can use photograde on another website.  Then you can sell those coins on ebay and sell the remainder by the roll for melt value.