• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Coin Identification Issue

9 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone!

I usually enjoy the chase...the search and research portion of identifying and cataloging my coins; however, this is the only example in my collection that is giving me a hard time in the identification process. I believe it to be either from the Ottoman Empire or from India. I am leaning more towards the first rather than the latter. The coin was a gift when I first starting collecting long ago and I keep prolonging my research into it until recently. Can anyone lend a hand?

20171006_201726.jpg

20171006_201655.jpg

20171006_183644.jpg

20171006_183706.jpg

Hi.  Definitely Arabic -script on this one.   The inscription is too worn and small for my very limited skills.  I would recommend posting it on worldofcoins.eu as I am sure someone there will be able to identify it.  You will probably want to provide a size and weight to help with ID.  

TerryZman,

Thank you for the insight and direction! I'll give the site a check and posting. The worn characters was something I was worried about...but hopefully there is enough for someone to know something. Thanks again!

Hey!

Thanks for the new insight. As of today I've had no luck. The worst part is...at one time I new it and wrote down the information so I wouldn't forget, but I lost that.

1 hour ago, Lord RAR said:

Hey!

Thanks for the new insight. As of today I've had no luck. The worst part is...at one time I new it and wrote down the information so I wouldn't forget, but I lost that.

I'll even help you out with a link, since this place is so dead. Try here: https://www.cointalk.com/forums/ancients/

It's arabic -script,but the problem is the inscriptions you need to identify it are the ones in the OUTER RING.  The -script in the central area is merely a statement of the faith.