• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold Electroplate Certified Kenney Half Dollars

10 posts in this topic

I have eight Gold Electroplate Certified Kennedy Half Dollars beginning with Serial # 75711 through #75718.  I am interested in determining value as I would like to sell them.  They were purchased by my father, A.M. Jennings some time ago.  They are part of our parent's estate, but none of us are interested in coin collecting or keeping these items. 

The CSOA card just says Gold Electroplate Certification.  And each card for each coin has the individual serial number, a description and the Plating Metal which indicates they are 24 KT. gold. 

Not sure how to do that.  I can take a picture of one of the coins with my cell phone but getting it to you might present a challenge.  I can download it to my home lap top and then see if I can post it somewhere here.  I'm a novice on this type of website so there you go.

From your description, they sound like thinly gold plated Kennedy halves. Sadly, this kind of item has little or no collector value.

If your parent's Estate included other coins or old currency, I'm sure members can help you understand what you have.

Unfortunately Roger is correct, your coins have been plated by a private concern after they left the mint.  The "certification" has no value and the coins are worth 50 cents apiece unless they are dated before 1971.  If they are dated before 71 they are worth the value of the silver they contain.  The gold plating adds no value because it is very thin, contains little gold, and it would cost more to recover the gold than it would be worth.

Sadly, we see this all the time.

The worse case I ever saw was a guy who came in after his father had passed away. His dad had loaded up, and I mean loaded up, on those goofy gold plated state quarter five piece sets. Those, and the platinum plated ones. They came packaged in plastic and in a cardboard (beautifully printed) box. Similar set-up to a proof set. I felt so bad for this guy. He really thought he was going to get the money. I tried to sell some of them on ebay for him, it was a slow and non-profitable go. The poor guy had 4 bannana boxes full of these sets.

On 10/7/2017 at 9:51 AM, thebeav said:

Sadly, we see this all the time.

The worse case I ever saw was a guy who came in after his father had passed away. His dad had loaded up, and I mean loaded up, on those goofy gold plated state quarter five piece sets. Those, and the platinum plated ones. They came packaged in plastic and in a cardboard (beautifully printed) box. Similar set-up to a proof set. I felt so bad for this guy. He really thought he was going to get the money. I tried to sell some of them on ebay for him, it was a slow and non-profitable go. The poor guy had 4 bannana boxes full of these sets.

WOW.  And OUCH.