• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TONED DMPL

4 posts in this topic

Ok guys, I've been collecting for about a month and learning a lot but some things are very vague when it comes to dmpl and toned graded coins. I purchased a 1882-s Morgan already graded MS 65. This coin is an old grade in the soap slab... forgive me if my terminology is used incorrectly as I mentioned I am learning. I had a friend who when he saw it said that it was dmpl and that I should have it regraded. I have noticed that more of the recently graded coins have been given a dmpl grade since companies such as ngc and pcgs have started grading. For instance, there was a very small amount of ngc graded dmpl coins in the companies early years vs thousands that are in the system now. I guess my question is, could such a coin be sent back and given a dmpl grade that's already been graded? Also , if it was deemed dmpl, would the beautiful and unusual tone be considered a plus when it comes to resale? Someone please help! TIA!(shrug)

IMG_0305.PNG

IMG_0306.PNG

Yes, the coin could be sent back in for a review. If you call their customer service, they can help you with that. 

There seems to be more now just because they've graded more coins. The type of slab that your coin is in would have been labelled DPL if it met the criteria when it was graded. Did it earn the PL designation? 

Toning on prooflike or deep-mirrored prooflike coins is considered a plus, however sometimes the toning can hide the mirrors. 

Finally, to address your coin - I'm guessing that your coin has prooflike tendencies, but probably doesn't meet the criteria for DPL. Those pictures are highly edited to increase the contrast and saturation. By digitally manipulating photos, it can make a coin appear to be PL or DPL when it really isn't. In hand, I'm guessing that your coin does not have nearly as much contrast. That reverse picture appears to be DPL - but only because the picture has been edited. 

This slab dates from the 2003-2008 range, I think. I have found the quality of PL designations from this period to be mixed.

Also, the toning may prevent the coin from receiving the DPL designation, depending on how opaque vs translucent it is. If they cannot judge the mirrors where the toning sits, they will not give it the highest designation.

The provided images are not clear enough to provide an opinion on the actual coin.